Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Bedroom Tax.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 10758

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Bedroom Tax. Reply with quote

[i]Hi,

As I see it, I am paying Bedroom Tax in order that somebody else can have a spare bedroom that they don't NEED and can't afford. Those who are not receiving benefits either pay for their spare bedroom, or don't have one, and if that means moving to another house, that's what they do.

On the other hand, there should be a bit of compassion (AKA Common Sense) while the infrastructure adapts to accommodate the change in benefits legislation. The Authorities should draw up a "reverse" waiting list, so that those that are "over accommodated" can prepare to move with adequate notice, but pay the subsidised rent until they do, or find a way of paying the correct rent.

Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed...

if i cant afford a 3 bedroom house when i am employed and paying for, then i move..

but i cant disagree with the sentiment that a little compassion is required.

I have a friend, he works but receives council housing benefit, has a wife (whom he lives with) who is mildly disabled and hence the above also..

they ahve 3 bedrooms and 2 kids, boy, 5, girl 7, and they have been told that despite the fact that the rooms are all occupied, the girl and boy should share a room and they should be paying the subsidy for the third bedroom.

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with the bedroom tax. Social housing is there to meet the needs of the people. If you children leave home you no longer need the room then move to make it available for someone who needs it. Many people who own homes move to reduce outgoings as they approach retirement. The home is never theirs and they have no more of a right to stay than someone renting privately.

Where they have gone wrong is they should only be able to charge the tax if a suitable alternative has been offered and refused. By suitable I mean if they work in area x the house needs to be in area x, if they don't work but are looking then it needs to be somewhere where they have a chance of working, if they don't work and arn't going to then it needs to be within a couple of miles of a bus stop and shop etc.

RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Toseland's example the family would have to move out until the eldest reached 10 years old then they'd need to move to a bigger house again as the powers-that-be will expect children of different genders to have separate bedrooms from age 10!

Sense is not something that is particularly Common

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Did anybody see DIY SOS on TV (Wales) recently? The team were sorting things out for a single woman looking after EIGHT children. Four of them were her own, the other four were those of a friend who had died. A husband had also died, but I didn't catch if it was her husband, or the friend's.

She was working, trying to look after herself, but needed some help. According to the program, all that the Benefits people could suggest was that she should stop working, and then she would get the full range of benefits, and be given a council house. There is something wrong with the system.

I understand that if two adults share a house, they are entitled to only one bedroom if they are mixed gender, but a bedroom each if they are the same gender. Or has that been changed in recent years.

The problem with legislation is that it has to be "one size fits all", and it has to "hit the ground running". This "bedroom tax" needs somebody with the authority to make the rules fit the situation, not penalise cases where the situation doesn't fit the rules.

Suggestion .... encourage "pairs" of single mums (or dads) to share a council house, one goes out to work, the other stays at home. Hmmm! Same a SPAM marriage (of convenience) would allow that. Would failure to consumate allow an easy anullment?

cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine was a bus driver, his wife's health gradually declined, one of those people who have every ailment they've ever heard, it stops them undertaking every part of their life and the pharmacy have to use a van to deliver their prescriptions. eventually she needed carers to visit the house three times a day. The husband was told he had to stop working otherwise they wouldn't provide care he would have to pay for it privately, which was beyond his means.

Broke his heart to quit a job he loved but he couldn't afford to work.

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The husband was told he had to stop working otherwise they wouldn't provide care

Hi,

I'm guessing that was because they were not allowed to pay for the care if he was working. First thought is that the law needs changing. Second thought was that maybe, overall, it costs less to enforce a stupid law, than to change the law. You didn't say whether your friend was required to perform the "care functions" ... assuming that he wanted to, is he qualified.

I understand that nobody is allowed to assist in delivering a baby, unless they are a midwife. Criminal offence. "Sorry girl, you are on your own!" Some years ago, a young girl knocked on my front door, asked for help. She said she had fallen on a bit of glass, showed me a cut just below the elastic. Her life didn't seem to be at risk, so I suggested the nearest place she should go was the local chemist. If things had been more seriouis, would I have risked being arrested? Probably. In France, it is a criminal offence not to help somebody in difficulties. Me? If I had wanted to be a nurse, I would have trained to be one. As it is, I have delegated that job to the professionals.

I have often thought that there are people who need a resident carer. And there are other people who want to care ... would love to be a nurse, but may not be "Degree" material, so remain unemployed/unfulfilled. Both are a drain on the taxpayer. Surely it would not be above the capabilities of somebody in authority to put the two together ... under the one roof? Everybody would (or could) win.

Toseland
Mud Obsessed

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w3526602 wrote:
The husband was told he had to stop working otherwise they wouldn't provide care

Hi,

I'm guessing that was because they were not allowed to pay for the care if he was working. First thought is that the law needs changing. Second thought was that maybe, overall, it costs less to enforce a stupid law, than to change the law. You didn't say whether your friend was required to perform the "care functions" ... assuming that he wanted to, is he qualified.

I understand that nobody is allowed to assist in delivering a baby, unless they are a midwife. Criminal offence. "Sorry girl, you are on your own!" Some years ago, a young girl knocked on my front door, asked for help. She said she had fallen on a bit of glass, showed me a cut just below the elastic. Her life didn't seem to be at risk, so I suggested the nearest place she should go was the local chemist. If things had been more seriouis, would I have risked being arrested? Probably. In France, it is a criminal offence not to help somebody in difficulties. Me? If I had wanted to be a nurse, I would have trained to be one. As it is, I have delegated that job to the professionals.

I have often thought that there are people who need a resident carer. And there are other people who want to care ... would love to be a nurse, but may not be "Degree" material, so remain unemployed/unfulfilled. Both are a drain on the taxpayer. Surely it would not be above the capabilities of somebody in authority to put the two together ... under the one roof? Everybody would (or could) win.

there is a goodwill clause held in english law (or so i was told when studying criminal law at uni anyhow), which basically means if you are acting in the interest of the person's safety or wellbeing, then you cant be arrested and/or charged with a crime unless willfull neglect, neglegence or nafarious intent.

i would imagine that in this case a civil suit would not go through either.

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toseland wrote:
w3526602 wrote:

I understand that nobody is allowed to assist in delivering a baby, unless they are a midwife. Criminal offence. "Sorry girl, you are on your own!" Some years ago, a young girl knocked on my front door, asked for help. She said she had fallen on a bit of glass, showed me a cut just below the elastic. Her life didn't seem to be at risk, so I suggested the nearest place she should go was the local chemist. If things had been more seriouis, would I have risked being arrested? Probably.

there is a goodwill clause held in english law (or so i was told when studying criminal law at uni anyhow), which basically means if you are acting in the interest of the person's safety or wellbeing, then you cant be arrested and/or charged with a crime unless willfull neglect, neglegence or nafarious intent.

i would imagine that in this case a civil suit would not go through either.

Cases abound of non-qualified people assisting in delivering babies in unusual places and I've not been able to find a single instance of action being taken against anyone

Toseland refers to the so called 'good samaritan' law which is not actually law but accepted by common convention. In fact it may be safer to assist as an utterly unqualified person than one with some experience in the same way a boxer or black belt in karate may be more easily convicted of assault than jo public when in a pub fight.

cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mrs is a nurse and she can be struck off if she doesn't help someone who is hurt, but if she does help them and it goes wrong she can be suspended until someone decides it wasn't her fault or get struck off if it was. Probably worth walking around with your eyes shut & not telling any of the neighbours what you do Laughing
LlaniGraham
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2701

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w3526602 wrote:

Hi,

Complete and utter twaddle!!
Try doing some research before you post!!

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete and utter twaddle!! Try doing some research before you post!!

Hi LlaniGraham,

OK, I hear what you say, so I did some research, albeit belated.

The Nursing and Midwifery Order 2001, Part 9 Article 44 explains that it is illegal for an unqualified person to undertake the role of a registered midwife. Article 45 further explains that no person other than a registered midwife or a registered medical practitioner shall attend a woman in childbirth (assume responsibility) unless in an emergency or in supported recognised training.

They may be present during childbirth but must not assume responsibility, assist or assume the role of the medical practitioner or registered midwife or give midwifery or medical care in childbirth. This is unlawful and may incur sanctions and a conviction.

Twaddle maybe, but not complete and utter twaddle. My original source did not include the word emergency I apologise for that. Whatever, if there are complications, who gets to dicide whether it was an emergency or not. It seems that a well meaning bystander can find himself in both Civil and Criminal courts.

In view of your reaction, I feel it better if I did not post here again. Bye all!

Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w3526602 wrote:
Complete and utter twaddle!! Try doing some research before you post!!

Hi LlaniGraham,

OK, I hear what you say, so I did some research, albeit belated.

The Nursing and Midwifery Order 2001, Part 9 Article 44 explains that it is illegal for an unqualified person to undertake the role of a registered midwife. Article 45 further explains that no person other than a registered midwife or a registered medical practitioner shall attend a woman in childbirth (assume responsibility) unless in an emergency or in supported recognised training.

They may be present during childbirth but must not assume responsibility, assist or assume the role of the medical practitioner or registered midwife or give midwifery or medical care in childbirth. This is unlawful and may incur sanctions and a conviction.

Twaddle maybe, but not complete and utter twaddle. My original source did not include the word emergency I apologise for that. Whatever, if there are complications, who gets to dicide whether it was an emergency or not. It seems that a well meaning bystander can find himself in both Civil and Criminal courts.

In view of your reaction, I feel it better if I did not post here again. Bye all!

Why allow the words of a idiot make you leave the forum 602? It is totally obvious from his post that he is nothing better than a troll - please ignore him and post Wink
LlaniGraham
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am I a troll?

What was posted was totally incorrect. A baby may be delivered by anyone, not just a midwife. If that was the case then how do ambulance men manage? Even St John Ambulance personnel have delivered babies without being prosecuted!

And I note I wasn't the only one to debunk his posting, but it is only me that gets the criticism!

Toseland
Mud Obsessed

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its cause you are welsh haha

Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlaniGraham wrote:
Why am I a troll?

What was posted was totally incorrect. A baby may be delivered by anyone, not just a midwife. If that was the case then how do ambulance men manage? Even St John Ambulance personnel have delivered babies without being prosecuted!

And I note I wasn't the only one to debunk his posting, but it is only me that gets the criticism!

because sir, you are - try thinking before you post and explaining just why you think someone else's post is twaddle

Maybe then we won't lose posting members
LlaniGraham
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I suggest you report me to the Mods.
They can make the decision and not another common member.

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Having learnt a long time ago, not to "cut off my nose to spite my face",
and hey, I'm only human anway, I popped in to see what was being said about me.

Pretty please, can we stop the flame war? It's not what I want. I had no reason to disrespect LlaniGraham, and some reason to be grateful to him, though I suspect he will not remember.

His sudden outburst took me by surprise. I have known people to commit suicide (successfuly) following similar attacks when their defences were down. I have known others get medical retirements following prolonged attack by their bosses. Include me in that.

Anyway, to the point. LlaniGraham says anyone can help deliver a baby. The Nursing and Midwifery Order 2001, Part 9 Article 44 says it is illegal. Who should I believe? Will LlaniGraham come and give evidence in my defence?

Yes, ambulance drivers have (and will) delivery babies, but they have a big organisation, and presumably insurance, to help them resist any legal action against them. I'd guess that they have also had a degree of training. My training consists of "Don't let the baby's head fall on the ground". But if push comes to shove (not pun intended), in an emergency, I would give what assistance I can, knowing that I would be vunerable to legal action if anything goes wrong ... and maybe if nothing goes wrong.

Whatever, I try not to insult anybody on the web ... I don't always succeed. If I do upset somebody, its no skin off my nose if I "eat crow" to cool the situation. So, although I think I was right, I accept that LlaniGraham is entitled to his own views, but ask him to include a Smiley when suggesting I'm a pratt, or whatever.

OT ... my visits to Difflock are less frequent than several years ago. That is because Difflock have moved onwards, to Coilers (and worse), while I have gone the other way towards VED and MOT exemption, so there is less here for me. Nobody's fault, it's just the way things are.

LlaniGraham
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a personal example.
I was on duty with St John Ambulance at the Upton Jazz Festival some years ago and a lady staying at the campsite went into premature labour. We called County but due to the traffic they didn't arrive until after 3 volunteer members of SJA had delivered the baby.
No complaints raised by the County or by the General Nursing Council nor the British Midwifery Council.

And my apologies to you 602, but not to the "person" who was insulting to me. As said, I wasn't the only one who "rubbished" your comment, but it was only me that got insulted.

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No complaints raised by the County or by the General Nursing Council nor the British Midwifery Council.

Hi LlaniGraham,

Out of interest, what are the SJA instructions for situations such as you describe? Do the SJA officers get any training? Perhaps it is a subject that should briefly be covered in schools, with the advice to avoid if at all possible.

There is something deep down in my memory banks about cutting the cord, without tying it ..., I think the mother bled to death, but I may have that all wrong. I remember something from a film, where the hero was charged $100 for a pair of shoe laces.

Perhaps you should write a piece about the SJA ... all I know is that you get to watch football matches for free ... or have I got thjast wrong too? Embarassed

Oh yes, about five years ago, you offered to sort out my 1960 Series Two, fitted with a TD engine from an early Defender. In the event, I found that the lever for the gate valve (?) was not connected, so was able to sort it myself.

Going through my son's things, I found a photo of a baby that his girl friend had helped to deliver. Not my son's baby, you understand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> The Soap Box All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: