Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Grand vitara glowplug light flashing. car wont start.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elnevio
Gate Opener

Odometer: 5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Unsuccessful! Reply with quote

With thanks to jic44 again, I have now followed the procedure, but it looks like I might be the first one to not achieve success!! Surprised

The background is as follows. About six weeks ago, while we were visiting friends away from home, we experienced the flashy glow plug light and no starting, there was no joy for about an hour or so, but once the recovery chap arrived, the light had mysteriously stopped flashing and the car now started! It has recently had new glow plugs anyway (last year), and the recovery bloke suggested cleaning up the cable contact (is this the ground?) on the glow plug rail.

Then, it ran perfectly fine and normal until a couple of weeks ago, when it reappeared. The difference this time was that no amount of waiting or anything made the light go away! I cleaned up the ground contact as mentioned, just in case.

Anyway, I found this thread, checked the details, and determined that this must be the same problem with our 2000 GV. We had the error code 83, Mazda RF series 2.0TD engine, correct ECU and the correct immo unit.

So I followed the solution instructions, and double-checked that the required details matched, which they did.

Then when turning the key, I noticed that the glow plug light no longer flashed, but it did stay on (before attempting to start).

I can't get any codes (glow plug light just stays on).

Upon attempting to start, it eventually caught, but whitish smoke was also appearing from the rear of the engine bay somewhere! Further investigation revealed nothing.

As the battery was somewhat weak, I took it out, and left it charging all day. Upon trying again, I stuck with it, i.e. left the ignition on when it fired - but it will not run, even with the application of throttle as soon as it fires. The whitish smoke is still appearing (not quite as thick as the first occasion) from behind the engine when 'nearly' starting, drifting wispily up through the intercooler. It did smell a little 'fuelly', but I can't see anything obvious.

It happened fairly quickly, so I was thinking it was electrical. It could have been coming from the area of the starter motor, but all the cables appear firmly attached, without any obvious signed of scorching or melting. Even if it there was a problem with the starter motor unit or wiring, I would still expect the engine to run once it fired, as the starter motor was still turning the engine over, i.e. doing its job.

We are not aware of any similar problems previously, and the car has been sterling up until this. Admittedly, we've only had it for two and a half months, but my mum and dad had it for nearly two years.

Any ideas what this problem could be? I have little experience with diesels, so please feel free to suggest the obvious! Sorry for the length of the post, but I know how difficult it is to diagnose problems from afar, and I would like to give as much info as I can. Smile

I'd love to get this sorted, as while I have a van for work, the wife is using my car for work and school, and that only averages around 16 mpg! Eek!
Scooby2Scudo
Gate Opener

Odometer: 8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be worth back tracing the work the recovery mechanic done, did he chop or change any of the glow plug wiring? Can you hear the glow plug relay click as you let the engine heat?
elnevio
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooby2Scudo wrote:
It may be worth back tracing the work the recovery mechanic done, did he chop or change any of the glow plug wiring? Can you hear the glow plug relay click as you let the engine heat?

Thanks for the response. Smile

The recovery bloke didn't do anything, as by the time he got there, it started no problem!

Anything is still worth trying though. Where is the glow plug relay located for me to try and check/listen to?
Scooby2Scudo
Gate Opener

Odometer: 8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relay location I am not possitive on but I'd check the relays under the bonnet, you may need help from someone. I can hear mine from inside, you should hear it once the windows open, bonnets open I 'd say
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does sound like a sticking relay..

but also do check that the immo is letting fuel into the pump, i would suggest that if it fires breifly its getting some..

1. check the system is primed properly
2. check you have voltage across ALL of the glow plugs, and that they are heating up (you can do this either with a meter, or by removing the glowplug and having someone turn the ignition on, the end should glow white hot so be careful
3. painful i know, but see if you can get some diagnostics to indicate whether the ECU is actually turning on the fuel, it may well be that the fuel stop solonoid isnt working properly, is sticky, etc etc.

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
elnevio
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good stuff, thanks. I'll get on this later next week when I'm home again and have got the chance!
dcorry1
Gate Opener

Odometer: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Immobilizer problem Reply with quote

Could some please pm me the method to bypass the immobilizer. my work college's 00 grand vitara is currently not running and has the same problem. thanks.
elnevio
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about to see if I can fiddle around with some of the suggestions. I think it's stopped raining!

In the meantime, I am considering alternative possibilities and would like confirmation on one point:

Assuming it is an ECU problem (it might be - I may have broken something in the process; anyway...), I believe that if I source a replacement ECU, I could then tow the vehicle to Suzuki, and have them recode the ECU to match the existing immobiliser unit and keys.

Is this correct? Or would I also need to obtain a matching set of immobiliser unit, keys and barrels? I don't fancy that much.
matt77
Gate Opener

Odometer: 15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the gv wouldnt start after school run .. glow plug light flashing .. after several turns and about 20 mins looking like a fool it started .. can someone send me the mod to sort .. many thanks
rhinoman
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3277

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its usually the immo that's faulty rather than the ECU. A Suzuki dealer should be able to code the key and ECU to a replacement immo.
2000 Vitara 4u2, 3+3 lift, 33s, winch, safari rack, steel front axle and 5:83 R&Ps, LWB brakes
1986 SJ413K Pickup, 1.6 conversion
2006 Jimny JLX+, stock
matt77
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i just disconnect the immo ... but still have the key fob to unlock the doors ..or do the central locking and immo .. work together ?
rhinoman
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3277

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The central locking and immo are separate items if you disconnect the immo the engine won't start.
2000 Vitara 4u2, 3+3 lift, 33s, winch, safari rack, steel front axle and 5:83 R&Ps, LWB brakes
1986 SJ413K Pickup, 1.6 conversion
2006 Jimny JLX+, stock
matt77
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely the toad can be removed . i am thinking that is where the problem is . thanks for your input . ta
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a message on SWS mate

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
matt77
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey toseland .. no pm .. sws ? can you save the day pal .. i just want rid of the toad .. the truck is 13 years old now .. cant see anyone wanting to pinch it now .. Laughing
elnevio
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no problem with the TOAD. It seems to be operating correctly. I have had the same alarm (Ai606) on two different vehicles. As far as I know, it usually cuts the ignition and the fuel pump. The stock immo (which this thread deals with) is retained, but it, I believe, just affects the fuel pump.

Anyway, I have managed to get mine to run!

But only by keeping the key in 'START'. After the starter motor disengages, it then winds up to high speed. Obviously, I do not want to do this for long. But the engine runs and revs. As soon as I return the key to position 2, i.e. ignition, it stops as if I have turned the key to ACC or OFF.

So fuelling is not an issue. The smoke I got was definitely fuelly but when 'running' as above, there was no smoke at all.

I am thinking that the glow plug relay may still be the potential culprit now, but need to know where it is? I'll trawl the forums for it, and maybe ask it as a standalone question, but if anybody can tell me exactly, that would be appreciated!
matt77
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toad removed .. all good ..
icerman
Gate Opener

Odometer: 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
I have code 83 and I begging to know how I can passby the imobilizer om my GV.

Please send a pm if you know

Best Regard Daniel Lundström, Sweden
detrytus
Gate Opener

Odometer: 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

yesterday my GV 2.0 TD died on gas station. Glowplug flashing. Checking the flash codes gave 81 result - immobiliser. Looking for the solution I found this topic. Could anyone please PM me the bypass solution for immo problem? I would be really greatfull. I need the car runing as soon as possible. Thanks.
matt77
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took mine to garage and ripped toad out .. all good since .. he didnt by pass , just removed as stock when built ..
twanger
Gate Opener

Odometer: 6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandyjet62 wrote:
Hi all, and thanks for all your help,

Well the problem is sorted now. Not by me I hasten to add, but by the very clever man I bought the car from. (as I said, a coleague at work). I knew it was an immobaliser problem, was quoted £100 + plus by Suzuki to look at it and approx £500 if it turned out to be the ecu.
Anyway, it turns out that if you have the RF engine and the immobiliser system has Denso ECU it is possible to dissconnect the immobiliser. In fact it is very easy to disable the immobiliser at no cost at all.
unfortunatley, i dont think it should be put up to open forum for the security of other GV owners with the same system. But I will gladly give the info to a mod and let them decide. It may not be a big secret but I could not find this info on the net anywhere, I was about to give up and look at replacing the unit the man with the plan came up with the solution.

Thanks again all.
hi i need your help asap my vitara also failed to restart and the glow plug light is flashing
twanger
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandyjet62 wrote:
Hi all, and thanks for all your help,

Well the problem is sorted now. Not by me I hasten to add, but by the very clever man I bought the car from. (as I said, a coleague at work). I knew it was an immobaliser problem, was quoted £100 + plus by Suzuki to look at it and approx £500 if it turned out to be the ecu.
Anyway, it turns out that if you have the RF engine and the immobiliser system has Denso ECU it is possible to dissconnect the immobiliser. In fact it is very easy to disable the immobiliser at no cost at all.
unfortunatley, i dont think it should be put up to open forum for the security of other GV owners with the same system. But I will gladly give the info to a mod and let them decide. It may not be a big secret but I could not find this info on the net anywhere, I was about to give up and look at replacing the unit the man with the plan came up with the solution.

Thanks again all.
hi i need your help asap my vitara also failed to restart and the glow plug light is flashing
twanger
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: the ecu Reply with quote

hi can somebody tell me where abouts the ecu is located on a 2.0 td vitara please
icerman
Gate Opener

Odometer: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn´t anyone know how i could remove the imo.
I can start the car simply by disconect the connection to the ABS controller. But i want to have ABS brakes when i drive
matt77
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry cant help . ta
twanger
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elnevio wrote:
I've had no problem with the TOAD. It seems to be operating correctly. I have had the same alarm (Ai606) on two different vehicles. As far as I know, it usually cuts the ignition and the fuel pump. The stock immo (which this thread deals with) is retained, but it, I believe, just affects the fuel pump.

But only by keeping the key in 'START'. After the starter motor disengages, it then winds up to high speed. Obviously, I do not want to do this for long. But the engine runs and revs. As soon as I return the key to position 2, i.e. ignition, it stops as if I have turned the key to ACC or OFF.
So fuelling is not an issue. The smoke I got was definitely fuelly but when 'running' as above, there was no smoke at all.

I am thinking that the glow plug relay may still be the potential culprit now, but need to know where it is? I'll trawl the forums for it, and maybe ask it as a standalone question, but if anybody can tell me exactly, that would be appreciated!
i also have the same problem now iv removed the imobiliser can anybody help as this is my only means of transport
twanger
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elnevio wrote:

i also have the same problem now iv removed the imobiliser can anybody help as this is my only means of transport
twanger
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twanger wrote:
elnevio wrote:

like above i also have the same problem now iv removed the imobiliser can anybody help as this is my only means of transport
ps mine never has had a toad just the factory imobiliser
baderdog
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: GV immobilizer dead Reply with quote

Hi my first time on this forum, Shocked I have a 2000 Grand Vitara which on Xmas eve decided to immobilize itself having had a flat battery( due to the wife leaving the courtesy light on ) we now have the flashing heater plug light and no fuel pump activation, having checked everything out it is deffo the same old problem with the immobilizer, I understand that some members have managed to bypass this and would very much appreciate someone telling how its done, had the GV for 11years without a hint of problems so I guess its time something went wrong..
matt77
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check battery ,, give it a charge and test ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: