Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

why ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
les234
Just got MTs

Odometer: 144

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: why ? Reply with quote

Can some one please explain why..... if landrover spares are so cheep, so im always told & there basic mechanno engineering, simplicity at it worst, why are these dinosaur 4x4's landrovers so expensive??

I been watching several over the last 6+ weeks come & go, re-advertised & advertised again, with ludicrous price tags. I looked & tried 13 of the things.

tdi/td5 Defenders have in general have bad economy,poor ride, wrong gearing, turning circle of a oil tanker, rattle, shake, cramp cabins, what heater !! no door or any where pockets for bits & bats, rot like nothing else , almost 60 years of practice & they still cannot get them right...what is going for them ?? ok there short & a handy size, & ............. ??

£5k buys a mint low mileage Jeep,nissan, toyota or £5k shed patchwork chassis landy Very Happy theres just no comparison , i must be missing something !! Very Happy

Last edited by les234 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
spannerman69
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2807

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing you have over looked is that they are a british icon Wink as such they hold their value
scrunt
Articulating

Odometer: 985

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simples really,
If you want or need a Land Rover and particularly a Defender type then they are not built by Toyota, Nissan etc.

If you are happy with one of those and the price suits, best just buy one and forget about Land Rovers.

george
les234
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrunt wrote:
Simples really,
If you want or need a Land Rover and particularly a Defender type then they are not built by Toyota, Nissan etc.

If you are happy with one of those and the price suits, best just buy one and forget about Land Rovers.

george

oh beleive me i have , having seen the cr*p out there..

British i con ...... land rover was owned by BMW then sold to the Ford Company then then a few years later Ford Sold Jaguar and Land Rover operations to Tata Motors !! Laughing Laughing

aogborn753
Gate Opener

Odometer: 47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you either love them are hate them don't think there is any in-between you defintly don't drive them if you are going to way up the pros are cons.
lambert
Articulating

Odometer: 751

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem here as well is comparing vehicles on price point. At 5k a land rover will be a mid to late 90's model where as a jap will likely be an early naughties model. As such it is unfair to compare cars that can be a much as 10 or more years different in age. By the same token though if Toyota did a direct competitor to defender but with all the Toyota reliability and finess land rovers sales would fall through the floor.
Jimbee
Just got MTs

Odometer: 177

2002 Land Rover 110

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If their merits need explaining.......don't get one, you'll hate it.
brava199
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there iconns that tke a hell of a beating and chep for parts i got a disco now also a series 3 with no heats and bumpy as hell but its a animal off road theres just somthing about drive the clasic that puts a smile on your face words dont describe the feeling
jamie_grieve
Articulating

Odometer: 876

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The problem here as well is comparing vehicles on price point. At 5k a land rover will be a mid to late 90's model where as a jap will likely be an early naughties model. As such it is unfair to compare cars that can be a much as 10 or more years different in age. By the same token though if Toyota did a direct competitor to defender but with all the Toyota reliability and finess land rovers sales would fall through the floor

They did, since the 70's it was the 40/45 series Toyotas that took the global market away from Land Rover and then followed up with the 75 & 78 series to keep Land Rover out of the market.
Since Land Rover stopped production of the rest of world spec Defender in 2006 or whenever they don't even have a product suitable for the global utility market.
The 78 and 79 series is directly comparable to the Defender and unfortunately is much better in almost every respect.
Just look at any tin pot dictatorship or uprising and what vehicles are they driving with as weapons platforms?
I love Land Rovers but roll on the Defender replacement and lets get something decent out there and kick some Japanese ass.
jamie_grieve
Articulating

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The problem here as well is comparing vehicles on price point. At 5k a land rover will be a mid to late 90's model where as a jap will likely be an early naughties model. As such it is unfair to compare cars that can be a much as 10 or more years different in age. By the same token though if Toyota did a direct competitor to defender but with all the Toyota reliability and finess land rovers sales would fall through the floor

They did, since the 70's it was the 40/45 series Toyotas that took the global market away from Land Rover and then followed up with the 75 & 78 series to keep Land Rover out of the market.
Since Land Rover stopped production of the rest of world spec Defender in 2006 or whenever they don't even have a product suitable for the global utility market.
The 78 and 79 series is directly comparable to the Defender and unfortunately is much better in almost every respect.
Just look at any tin pot dictatorship or uprising and what vehicles are they driving with as weapons platforms?
I love Land Rovers but roll on the Defender replacement and lets get something decent out there and kick some Japanese ass.
lambert
Articulating

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie_grieve wrote:
Quote:

Ok so where can i buy a sub 5 year old short wheel base ( less than 4m total length) Toyota pickup that can carry 600kg whilst towing a 3.5 tonne trailer? In fact it doesn't even need to be a Toyota any manufacturer other than land rover will do.r

Last edited by lambert on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
psulli16
Gate Opener

Odometer: 27

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landies,,,,,,,, I know why you mean, noises, poor mpg , rattles the list is endless BUT once you have one you'll love it .

And they get you to some amazing places

spannerman69
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2807

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i`m aware the only thing that can legally tow a 3.5 tonne trailer , other than a big van /small truck ,is a 130 defender .
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3372

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixing our jeep cherokee is going to be finantially pointless. It's worth scrap money right now, even though it still drives about. The parts are mad for it!
But if it were a 1999 short wheel base landy we'd fix it easy. They are known to have a really long working life for this reason.

Even the Td5 D2 we run is repairable. It just seems a lot easier to fix than the jeep. (same age) Being really well built and good to drive isn't going to save jeepy Sad

To be honest though, I thought the big Yota held a high price better than anything (rightly so)

lambert
Articulating

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spannerman69 wrote:
as far as i`m aware the only thing that can legally tow a 3.5 tonne trailer , other than a big van /small truck ,is a 130 defender .

All defenders can not just the 130 also all discovery and range rovers but not freelander or evoque.

David_LLAMA4x4
Just got MTs

Odometer: 466

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: why ? Reply with quote

les234 wrote:
Can some one please explain why..... if landrover spares are so cheep, so im always told & there basic mechanno engineering, simplicity at it worst, why are these dinosaur 4x4's landrovers so expensive??

I been watching several over the last 6+ weeks come & go, re-advertised & advertised again, with ludicrous price tags. I looked & tried 13 of the things.

tdi/td5 Defenders have in general have bad economy,poor ride, wrong gearing, turning circle of a oil tanker, rattle, shake, cramp cabins, what heater !! no door or any where pockets for bits & bats, rot like nothing else , almost 60 years of practice & they still cannot get them right...what is going for them ?? ok there short & a handy size, & ............. ??

£5k buys a mint low mileage jeep,nissan, toyota or £5k shed patchwork chassis landy Very Happy theres just no comparison, i must be missing something !! Very Happy

All very easy to explain when you compare them to the football premier League:

Neither of them are any where near as good as they think they are but both of them are propped up by a bunch of irrattional fanatics! Very Happy

David

jamie_grieve
Articulating

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok so where can i buy a sub 5 year old short wheel base ( less than 4m total length) Toyota pickup that can carry 600kg whilst towing a 3.5 tonne trailer? In fact it doesn't even need to be a Toyota any manufacturer other than land rover will do.r

The short ones are either 71 or 73 series depending on year.
They are 8cm longer than your specifications but can carry 705Kg so would be perfect for your needs
All the heavy duty Land Cruisers (the name starts HZJ) have a 3.5 or 4 ton towing capacity depending on which country they're in.
The heavy duty Land Cruiser has never been sold in the UK although the tax haven of Gibraltar is where to buy a new one. There is a huge export market there.
I suppose getting one would involve lots of trawling the internet, lots of travel and lots of money.

5K won't get you very much land cruiser either. It'll have star ship mileage and be ancient.
Like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181054043925?ssPageNa...p3984.m1438.l2649

That's an ended listing but it'll give you an idea.
A swb Nissan Patrol would work too and has the 3.5 ton capacity as well. G wagon as well has the 3.5 ton from a swb but don't think there's a pickup version.
You'll not find a less than 5 year old 4x4 for 5k with your requirements. If there's a swb Santana out there that would work too.

Buy a Land Rover Smile
lambert
Articulating

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5k is not my budget.
jamie_grieve
Articulating

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
5k is not my budget.

The first part of my reply was aimed at yourself, my reference to new vehicle sales was obviously not sufficient and I should have been clearer
with the division when I go on about the 5K aimed at the OP.
Please accept my humblest apologies.
Did I answer your question to your satisfaction?
lambert
Articulating

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Mea culpa.
Kpautos
Gate Opener

Odometer: 48

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a peculiar thing, I now run a 110 landy, in comparison to my previous off roader.,, a Toyota hi lux surf, and a diahatsu plus I won't drive anything carwise that isn't German, it's,,, badly built, slow, inefficient, noisy,leaky, ect ect, but like most owners I LOVE it! Plus it's cheap and simple to keep on the road, parts are plentiful and available from literally hundreds of places, it's really just a matter of personal taste, no rights and no wrongs just differences !!
Let Luce
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4018

1977 Land Rover 101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my landies, but Land Rover stoped making decent vehicles sometime in the 70's. I wouldn't go near a new one. If I was in the market for a newish 4x4 it'd probably be a toyota troupie, imported from Europe. As I'm not in the market, I'll stick with my '72 series three and my '77 101.
les234
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamidris wrote:
Fixing our jeep cherokee is going to be finantially pointless. It's worth scrap money right now, even though it still drives about. The parts are mad for it!

For JEEP do internet seaches for parts, especially USA E B*Y (any JEEP) they are cheep as h3ll.. The Jeep main dealers (as all), will burn you . I recently had a wheel hub bearing to replace (its a unit) dealer £365 , web search £90 delivered ! heater resister - dealer £144, web seach £4.70 !
comfort, 34-36mpg ecomony & build of a tank too, thats JEEP Smile

zng109

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: why ? Reply with quote

les234 wrote:

£5k buys a mint low mileage Jeep,nissan, toyota or £5k shed patchwork chassis landy Very Happy theres just no comparison , i must be missing something !! Very Happy

answer.
I saw a series III get rear ended by a mini in the 80's Shocked I have driven one of mine through a beech gate (with no nudge bar), no damage.
I lived in one for 6 months.
they are so easy to maintain and solid...very solid, my last one cost me £250.00, I rebuilt it, registered it, they are very hard to kill you know.
however all of mine have been BL cars.
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a subject that is done to death, however as the point seems need labouring here goes again.

Leaving the idea of vehicle character aside for the moment. My previous 110 was 5 years old had done over 100,000 miles and, thanks to LR warranty, had no rust. It drove almost like new (I know, I have a brand new one now) with only normal servicing, and if I needed spares they are easily found, cheap and relatively easy to fit at home.

Agreed, it is noisy, less than spacious inside for passengers but with a cubby box that can house a family of illegal immigrants and more inexpensive storage accessories than one can imagine, storing your bitsnpieces is hardly a problem. I often drive 300+ miles in a day and then jump in to run some messages without a twinge.

Again, after 5 years/100,000 miles it sold for £15,000 which is 55% residual value and when valeted and parked next to my brand new one it was difficult to tell the difference from more than 5' away.

Both cars, old and new, have been 100% reliable with any problems being caused either by me, aftermarket bits or dumb bad luck. There is not another vehicle like it available in the UK for ANY money. Those who speak darkly of unreliable Defenders are comparing cars that are sometimes decades older than the Jap cars. And if we're talking about rust ...... SJ's and Vitaras ... legendary rustbuckets.

The Defender is an icon, made in Britain irrespective of global company ownership, and is sought after because it is damn good vehicle. I looked at buying a new Jap 4x4 with the same spec level as my 110XS and the nearest equivalent was over £12,000 more, not vat recoverable and would have depreciated to 35% residual in 3 years/36k miles.

I challenge you to show me a vehicle available in the UK today that comes close in capacity, practicality, economy and value for money (and I mean ALL of them, not one at a time). And I mean like for like - don't point at a 2005 Yota and a 1995 300Tdi.

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, I recently had the AA attend my new 110 because of an electrical fault cause by my laziness (I'd not refitted the -ve terminal to battery properly Embarassed ) and the AA man glanced at the car and decided the battery must be dead saying "if its the original battery it's not a surprise it's died - in a car of that age" The car and battery were (are) only 7 months old.

He'd looked at the B reg (private) and assumed it was a 1984 model. He then looked at the 2002 90 parked next to the 110 and got very confused as the 2 looked like new.

So .... Defenders are still considered 'new' if less then 15 years old. Run them for 10 or 20 years, change the chassis for £2500 and run for another 20 years. Keep it serviced and it'll be reliable. Roll it over in a 4' deep river and properly drown it yet a day's work and £500 (new screen, oil, fuel and filters) will see it back to work - just remember to take to dead trout out of the footwell.

Jap 4x4s, Discos and RRs are very nice but nothing matches the Defender!

Wilbert Robinson
Articulating

Odometer: 685

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear Hear, ^^^^ wot he said ^^^^

Get your mind out of the gutter................it's blocking my view
lambert
Articulating

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilbert Robinson wrote:
Hear Hear, ^^^^ wot he said ^^^^

+1

TheClunk
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1159

1997 Vauxhall Frontera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the amount of spares available for a Land Rover, you could pretty much build one from scratch for less than a new one.
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheClunk wrote:
With the amount of spares available for a Land Rover, you could pretty much build one from scratch for less than a new one.

Now that sounds like a proper challenge.

Rules:
Chassis and bulkhead from the one car for dvla ID purposes
All other parts from recognised spares retailers.

Budget to be same as vat inclusive on the road price of the same spec car.

Maybe a magazine would take it on?

Edited to add
And do the same for a similar size and spec Jap car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Land Rover All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: