Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Grand vitara glowplug light flashing. car wont start.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandyjet62
Gate Opener

Odometer: 29

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Grand vitara glowplug light flashing. car wont start. Reply with quote

Hi,

Just bought a Grand Vitara and went to start it this morning. Engine fired briefly,,,,now nothing! The glowplug light is continueosly flashing and engine not even trying to fire. I,m suspecting it is immobilised. But what could be the cause? and does anybody know how to fix it? how do I fix it?
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the engine check light flashes for the immobiliser being active iirc (will check though)

i would suggest that the glowplug is not getting up to temperature and/or it has another issue with it.. is there any local mobile mechanics that can come out and code read it for you?

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
GVstu
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2314

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand vitara glowplug light flashing. car wont start. Reply with quote

sandyjet62 wrote:
Hi,

Just bought a Grand Vitara and went to start it this morning. Engine fired briefly,,,,now nothing! The glowplug light is continueosly flashing and engine not even trying to fire. I,m suspecting it is immobilised. But what could be the cause? and does anybody know how to fix it? how do I fix it?

Well from a brief googling of this issue it appears that it could be

a) some sort of immobiliser issue (sure the thing is unlocking right?)
b) some sort of glow plug failure (unknown quantity since this is a new vehicle for you)
c) some sort of glow plug relay issue (I'm leaning towards this as I'm reading into your post that it -has- been working)

I'd have a look at the relay first, check that it's in good order, if the relay has gone swap that out they're a cheap enough fix.

For a better diagnosis you'll have to give us more details, engine version etc.

Good luck mate!

GVstu
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2314

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tose do you know how these things code with the immobiliser? Is it something that's built into the keyfob?
sandyjet62
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Toseland! Thanks for replying!
It is a gv 20td. 1998. Does it have a obd connection? do faulty glow plugs cause this problem on thid model?

I have read that a volts drop/low battery can cause these cars to immobilise but I have changed the battery to a fully charged known good one. I have also read that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery while the ignition is on will reset the system..but that did'nt work either. I,m a bit concerned that I am going to end up paying big money. I bought the car as I have known it at work for 2 years, it belonged to a colleagues wife and has never given any proplems before. I was also wondering whether adjusting the steering coloumn upwards may have "pulled the plug" from the antena coil on the ingnition barrel. maybe clutching at straws but as yet I am unfamilier with this vehicle.
jaycey001
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think this might be a fairly common problem with the imobiloser, I have the same car with the Mazda Rf lump, and have been aware of this issue for some time, just hope it doesnt happen.

See how you get on with what has been sugested but i can tell you that having the ECU/Imobiliser re-coded will not work on this system.

The only fix i am aware of is replacing the ECU, Imobilser and Ignition barrel. I hope you find its a simpler fix though, if you do please post so others can benifit Smile

Best wishes
Jay
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAJEROstu wrote:
Tose do you know how these things code with the immobiliser? Is it something that's built into the keyfob?

from about 1992 they have chipped keys.. all i know aside from the flashing light sometimes indicates the imobiliser being active..

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
sandyjet62
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, and thanks for all your help,

Well the problem is sorted now. Not by me I hasten to add, but by the very clever man I bought the car from. (as I said, a coleague at work). I knew it was an immobaliser problem, was quoted £100 + plus by Suzuki to look at it and approx £500 if it turned out to be the ecu.
Anyway, it turns out that if you have the RF engine and the immobiliser system has Denso ECU it is possible to dissconnect the immobiliser. In fact it is very easy to disable the immobiliser at no cost at all.
unfortunatley, i dont think it should be put up to open forum for the security of other GV owners with the same system. But I will gladly give the info to a mod and let them decide. It may not be a big secret but I could not find this info on the net anywhere, I was about to give up and look at replacing the unit the man with the plan came up with the solution.

Thanks again all.
jaycey001
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, well done, I did not think it was possible to disconect the Imobiliser at all!!
Really pleased you did not have to pay out, its always a hard decision, esspecially if you have just brought the car!

I would be greatfull if you could PM me the solution, or if admin could send me the info?

Best wishes
James
rhinoman
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3277

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toseland wrote:
PAJEROstu wrote:

from about 1992 they have chipped keys.. all i know aside from the flashing light sometimes indicates the imobiliser being active..

The chipped key came in around 1998. The key is paired to the immobiliser and the immobiliser is paired to the ECU, a Suzuki scantool is needed to pair the ECU to the immobiliser but a locksmiths tool will pair the key with the immo.

2000 Vitara 4u2, 3+3 lift, 33s, winch, safari rack, steel front axle and 5:83 R&Ps, LWB brakes
1986 SJ413K Pickup, 1.6 conversion
2006 Jimny JLX+, stock
cyprusandy
Gate Opener

Odometer: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: suzuki wont start Reply with quote

Hi first post on here.

Exactly same problem, bought it a month ago, ran fine then all of a sudden wont start-flashing yellow light-feels like immobiliser has kicked in but Iam no mechanic, 1998/99 model gv tdi-please help!!
cyprusandy
Gate Opener

Odometer: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: sandyjet Reply with quote

well done sir-after pming you my car is now up and running again-granted i have no immobiliser but having received quotes of hundreds of pounds me and my mate sorted it in 40 minutes. Obviously best not to post the solution on here as every crook in the uk will have the answer to stealing gvs etc.
But- a big thank you from a new gv driver, only ever had vitaras before. Very Happy
bour46
Gate Opener

Odometer: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this can cure my GV had it from 12mnts old and never missed a beat. none of the three keys will fire here up!!!!!
jutwit
Just got MTs

Odometer: 158

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! A diesel gv is one of the zuks on my wanted list, if I get one a pm will be sent, tackle the problem before it happens.
rhinoman
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bour46 wrote:
Hope this can cure my GV had it from 12mnts old and never missed a beat. none of the three keys will fire here up!!!!!

Only seems to work on diesel models with the Denso ECU.

2000 Vitara 4u2, 3+3 lift, 33s, winch, safari rack, steel front axle and 5:83 R&Ps, LWB brakes
2006 Jimny JLX+, stock
j marshall
Gate Opener

Odometer: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i purchased a suzuki vitara about 6 months ago have had trouble with the immobiliser the glow plug flashing engine will not start towed it to a dealer was told the key had lost its code a new key was supplied at a cost of £100 it has now gave up again looking like another new key or spend stupid money for a new ecu and immobiliser and whatever the dealer can dream up its looking like a spairs or repair project any help or advice would be much appreciated
rhinoman
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key never loses its code, what happens is that when the immobiliser gets spiked its memory can get corrupted. It may be possible to rematch the immo with the ECU and key using the dealer Tech2 tool. Thats not always possible as the immo memory also contains its communication speed and if that part of the memory is corrupted then the immo can't talk to the ECU or the Tech2 tool. What I do in those cases is to remove the memory chips from the ECU and immo and programme them both with known good codes, I then pair the keys with the immo using the Tech2.
Did you jump start it? the usual cause of these problems is incorrect jump starting procedures.

2006 Jimny JLX+, stock
j marshall
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mate thanks for for prompt reply i have not tried to jump start the motor the battery has allways kept a good charge and has not been any bother the problem has occured about 4 or 5 times befor and turning the ignition on and off a few times has resulted in the truck starting up and running fine for about 6 weeks its parked up away from home at the minute so cannot do anything till the weather permits me to get it towed home. would you agree its the immobiliser thats the problem and not the ecu. i have only found one suzuki dealer locally that will have the tools to find the fault but when you walk through the door you just feel like they have got you by the balls.it is a denso ecu and i read on the forum that the immobiliser can be bypassed have you any knowledge of this many thanks for your time mate its much appreciated
rhinoman
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j marshall wrote:
hi mate thanks for for prompt reply i have not tried to jump start the motor the battery has allways kept a good charge and has not been any bother the problem has occured about 4 or 5 times befor and turning the ignition on and off a few times has resulted in the truck starting up and running fine for about 6 weeks its parked up away from home at the minute so cannot do anything till the weather permits me to get it towed home. would you agree its the immobiliser thats the problem and not the ecu. i have only found one suzuki dealer locally that will have the tools to find the fault but when you walk through the door you just feel like they have got you by the balls.it is a denso ecu and i read on the forum that the immobiliser can be bypassed have you any knowledge of this many thanks for your time mate its much appreciated

It can supposedly be bypassed but its not something that I would publish on line and I've not tried it personally. It sounds like you may have a bad connection on the serial link between the immo and ECU. Unless the ECU or immo gets spiked then the codes should stay stored for many years although the memory can wear out if the ECU writes to it frequently.

2006 Jimny JLX+, stock
j marshall
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: suzuki vitara immobiliserthanks Reply with quote

a big thanks to sandyjet for his info on the suzuki immobiliser i am back on the road without having to worry about walking home because the immobiliser has kicked in. the immobiliser on the denso unit can be quite easily bypassed saving a fortune at the dealers. thanks to everyone for there input much appreiated
marklocko
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you help me? I have had the same problem with no start and flashing light. on and off over the last year normally after a few cranks and maybe even a jump start it would fire i then replaced the bat and prob seamed to go away . yesterday i disconnected the battery to do some work on the grand vitara. connected the battery put key in ignition went to start engine light was flashing
The car is cranking but will not start at all now . i cracked the injector pipe after the fuel pump and it is not getting any fuel so i think i could well be the immobilizer stoping the lift pump from pumping fuel.
j marshall
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mate if your ecu is a denso I do have the info to bypass the immobiliser I cannot print it over the forum for obvious reasons.I had the same problem as you and this method proved to cure it. if you send me a private message I will get back to you as soon as
ultimo007
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: suzuki vitara Reply with quote

if u could please pm me how to bypass the immobilzer my wife and kids are walking now since the glow plug light started flashing
ivanpmanley
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

I have pm'd a couple of people on this thread but as it's old they may no longer be active.

I'm very interested in how to bypass the immobiliser on the Vitara

My father is retired and was about to sell his Vitara for something with a better fuel consumption when it developed the dreaded flashing immobiliser light and non starter. It's intermittent but he obviously can't sell it like that. Suzuki want to charge £100 to test it another £300 to fix it. His car is only worth around £1000!!!

I'm desperately trying to find a fix and stumbled upon your post when searching the internet.

I'd be very grateful for your help. If you want to check I'm genuine I am happy to phone and speak to you.

All the best Ivan
jonnie22
Gate Opener

Odometer: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im so pleased ive stumbled across this............been surfing the net for nearly two days looking for a solution.........ive got a w reg 2000 plate grand vit 2.0 diesel with exact same flashing glow plug light fault. Its been happening on and off over the last year, sometimes months apart, it always starts in the end.......but not this time.....been stuck on the drive for a week......wife now doing my head in about it....im getting error code 83...think i need the immo bypass... please can anyone help and guide me through the by pass???? my wife loves the car and its a minter 34,000 miles one owner far to good to scrap........thanks jon
jonnie22
Gate Opener

Odometer: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks to jic44, had a pm explaining the immobiliser bypass mod....all good, back on the road started first time...........well happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
leo7
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a vitara with mazda rf engine with denso ecu . Few days ago the glow plug light start flashing and i cant start it, i found out that is immobiliser. I dont have money to buy ecu+immo and it dont worth anyway so i will apreciate alot if you give me the info to bypass the immo.

Sincerely Leo,
Scooby2Scudo
Gate Opener

Odometer: 8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as everyone here it seems. The engine is cranking and the glow plug light is flashing. I presume it's an immobiliser problem, it's a 98 td so i presume i have the Denso ecu, I know its a denso injection pump. If anyone could forward on the information to me I'd appreciate it.
Scooby2Scudo
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would appreciate any help I could get. If anyone could forward this onto me please as I need to be running this weekend. Surely someone still has the message and could forward it
Scooby2Scudo
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much to a member going by Wilky, who has sent me on the file and should have me back on the road tomorrow!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: