Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Jeep Cherokee "Truggy" build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s.frimodt
Just got MTs

Odometer: 170

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Jeep Cherokee "Truggy" build Reply with quote

So bought this 1991 4.0 High output, for one purpose only: Three weeks of constant offroad driving at a gravelpit.
Didn't really expect much of it, only bought it because it had a lot of power at a small price. And to try something different as I'm a Land-Rover guy, and have been all my life.

But must say I am really surprised at it's capabilities offroad, the power and torque is immense, and just a plain hoot to drive! Twisted Evil

So started out by removing the antisway bars, and doing a very mild lift to gain some ground clearence. And as soon as I arrived at the gravelpit, the doors where removed, there was no need for destroying them as they are in perfect shape, and it's also a lot cooler to drive offroad without them Wink
First day:
Then the stock tyres were cut to improve traction:
Ran it like this for about a week and a half, welded up the rear diff and eventually the centerdiff as well, since, for God knows what reason, you couldn't lock it while in low ratio?? Only in High Rolling Eyes
Testing the welded centerdiff:

Next came tyre upgrades, fitted some 33"s and did some cutting:
And boy was she transformed, suddenly I could crawl a lot of the hills, and the rev limiter was used nearly as much Cool
Drowned her:
But got her back to life, so decided to keep her and make her a Truggy!
So today cutting began with my newly acquired plasmacutter, oh how nice it is to use compared to an anglegrinder, no mess, and best of all, no noise!
That's it for know, will keep you updated Wink

'53 Land Rover Series 1, awaiting some minor upgrades
GVstu
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2314

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work! Very Happy

Bizarre about not being able to lock the centre diff in low range though what is that all about? I didn't know they were setup like that.

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes very odd indeed.. The selections are: 2WD High, 4X4 Part time High, 4X4 Locked High, Neutral, and 4X4 Low Part time.
And when I had it apart I looked for a possible way to choose when to lock it myself, but as the two shift forks followed each other, it was not possible. It is possible though to make it 2WD high and the rest being locked 4X4. Would do this if I was going to use it in a road-going vehicle.

Today I managed to close the panels where I cut them, with the plasma its just ten times easier, make a cardboard template, transfer it to a piece of metal, and just get cutting! The worst part was welding to the rusty body..

scotty wong
Just got MTs

Odometer: 472

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should lock in 4x4 high lock and low range its just2wd and full time it dont lock.

Looks cool and should be a lot lighter.

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that's exactly how it is, well was, now it locks just perfectly thanks to a Migatronic Very Happy

Today I didn't get much done, but managed to weld some square tube between the axle housing and the chassis, which allowed me to remove the springs without the axle wobbling about.
The springs are going to be replaced with parabolic ones for an 88" LR as this will give me shorter overhang in the rear

minimog
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know why you had to do that to the t-case as the np 242 has perminant 4x4 which the center diff doesnt lock but has part time 4x4 which the diff is locked seems a lot of hassle to get a locked t-case just would of been easyer putting a np231 out of a manual cherokee/wrangler
"IF IT CARNT BE FIXED WITH A BIG HAMMER"
IT MUST BE AN ELECTRICAL FAULT"
s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, well life isn't all that easy in Denmark, jeeps are not something that is parked on every corner.. So locating another transfer is rasler said than done. Furthermore I had to do something to fix it, in the campsite where I was located, and welding it therefore was the only option. I ended up frying the centerdiff because it couldn't lock up. but when it's used offroad only you really don't have to be able to unlock it..

jamie_grieve
Articulating

Odometer: 876

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your project.
I've also got a Cherokee in my stable of toys and it is a hoot to drive.
Only my V8 Gipsy beat it in a drag race so far, no other 4x4 has come close yet.
Not sure I understand the no locking diff in low range?

Quote:
dont know why you had to do that to the t-case as the np 242 has perminant 4x4 which the center diff doesnt lock but has part time 4x4 which the diff is locked seems a lot of hassle to get a locked t-case just would of been easyer putting a np231 out of a manual cherokee/wrangler

Not true, your transfer case linkage is very sensitive and it's simply not working. The NP242 locks in low range. Give jeep some credit, they aint that dumb!!

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jamie, yes it is very quick indeed, and super easy to do burnouts in! Very Happy
I'm really surprised at the power in the 4.0 HO, And would like to shove it into a Landy someday Wink

Regarding 4wd. It just doesn't make any sense really, if you read it. It says that 4x4 PART TIME and 4Lo are for offroad use only. That doesn't make any sense, because part time will not be able to bind up whereas Locked 4x4 will!
The thing that makes it complicated is that it has a 60/40 split not 50/50, and the centerdiff is not really a diff as we know it, it is more like a Torque Bias locker. So when you select part time or 4Lo it engages and disengages depending on load. It worked fine-ish for a while, but when hammering it up hills with wheels flying and landing it "jumped" out of front wheel drive from time to time. This got worse, and in the end it annoyed me too much. When I go offroad I want to make certain it is locked, or unlocked, no automatic crap for me thank you Cool
When I took the transfer apart I studied it very thoroughly and above is what I came to learn. But anyways I must give Jeep credit for easy dis-assembly and assembly of the transfer case, it was super easy to do, even with the case fitted to the vehicle still Smile
I also did a mod to the Automatic transmission which has proven very effective indeed! As it is electronically controlled, i Modded it so that the "Power/comfort" button now turns the Transmission Control Unit on and off. The beauty about this is that you now have the ability to lock it into first gear, otherwise it would shift between 1. and 2. gear, without you having any control. This became a huge problem when I fitted the 33"s as the gearing then is a bit too tall and it would shift into 2. on hard climbs, loosing power. With this mod I can just lock it into 1. all the way, and with the flick of a switch go back to factory setup Wink

scotty wong
Just got MTs

Odometer: 472

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if thats what it dose its the wrong t case surely? its locked or not on the 242!! the later grand cherry tcase's are "sensing"? and all i've ever read has put it at 50/50

scotty

RL12
Just got MTs

Odometer: 297

1987 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool that thing Looks like a good fun!

How much did cutting the tyres improve traction by the way? I'm guessing not much as you then changed them?
I was thinking about doing it to a similar kind of truck was all.

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RL12 Smile
It does indeed help a lot, and I've done it on all sorts of vehicles: ATV, dirt bike, landrover, unimog and the jeep. It really is worth the effort. The problem with the tyres on the jeep was simply the size, all the other guys made tracks with their 33" and upwards to 40" so I couldn't reach to the bottom of the ruts, thats why I fitted the 33"s. So cutting them not only gives better traction but it also makes the tyre much softer, giving smoother ride and even better traction in sand or snow.

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came to see that my transfer is branded NP not NV but this has something to do with the year right? Dunno if there's any differences..

RL12
Just got MTs

1987 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, think I will try it Smile
Any particular technique in order to not slash the tyres with the grinder or just be as careful as possible?

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes do that, always worth a try.
Well I actually have a professional tyre cutter. But for large amounts of rubber removal I use a tool which I have no idea what is called in English Very Happy craftsman uses them to smooth edges etc in wood, they often knock at the end of it with a hammer and it's ideal for removing gasket material too.. I think you know which tool I mean, anyways I heat this with a blowtorch and run it through the tyres, works very well and is cheap as nothing else Wink

RL12
Just got MTs

1987 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wood plane?
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood chisel?

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly spot on, wood chisel it is! Wink

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First piece of tube bend and welded in. Got the other side bent up as well, but too dark to keep working now, will crack on tomorrow! Wink

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today saw some pretty good progress if I do say so myself. Got all the front part of the cage completely done, and the mainhoop bent up and welded in. But before I got to cut and notch the crossbar, a sudden pour of warm thunder rain washed everything away, so turned to cleaning my ATV instead Smile

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Land Rover springs arrived today!
So decided to fit on as much as possible, just to get an idea of where everything was going to end up.
Luckily little modifications had to be done to fit it to the axle and front chassis leg.
Moved the center of the spring an inch or so back, because the LR springs is an inch longer towards the front mount on the chassis:

A view from the underside:

And here you can see the main reason for fitting these springs, loosing some of that big american ass! Razz

Now as you can see it has way more arc to it than the Jeep spring, but that's okay, it'll just give me better departure angle Wink

RobotMan
Just got MTs

Odometer: 251

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you have a set of Landy springs going on as I'm taking a set of Landy leafs off my 88" to fit a set off a 4.0 HO Cherokee!

I'm sure they measured the same length but with the axle pin about 4" back from centre. Oh and weird bushes!

RobotMan
Just got MTs

Odometer: 251

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobotMan wrote:
Interesting that you have a set of Landy springs going on as I'm taking a set of Landy leafs off my 88" to fit a set off a 4.0 HO Cherokee!

I'm sure they measured the same length but with the axle pin about 4" back from centre. Oh and weird bushes!

Ok I was curious about it so went down the lock up and fished the springs out.

LR Rear measured around the curve of the spring, 48"
XJ Rear " " " " " " 53"
[/img]

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that looks more like it, was thinking that you might have springs off of a grand cherokee or something. 'cause I know for certain that 4.0 HO cherokee springs and 88" springs are not the same length. But no sweat, now that you say the same Smile
But I think they will make great SOA springs for a leafer landrover as they are quite soft, and the extra length gives great flexibility. Would just hate having more overhang because off it, as my experiences with landing on the rear shackle are not good, you can get stuck simply because the suspension isn't working. But that said I am by all means planning to keep my Jeep springs, you never know if they might come in handy at some point Wink

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other info that might be of some use to you, is that the bolt that goes through the bushes is a wee bit smaller OD than the LR bolt, so you might have to re-drill the holes in the bushings to fit the LR bolts. Other than that they are a tad wider too, so you will probably have some trouble fitting them on the chassis end of the landy. But maybe not more than can be dealt with, with the use of a grinder Wink

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the rearend chopped off with the plasma, and fitted the other spring.

ScottieJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the cage getting tied into the chassis? I'm not sure I would trust it in a bad roll over if it's only welded to the thin sheet metal of the body.

Looks good though! Cool
s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, don't worry, I aint done yet Wink

s.frimodt
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walking around behind my workshop looking for some 4" tube I had planned to use as a rear crossmember, I stumpled upon two fuel-tank outriggers off of a Lorry I had kicking around, and with a bit of cutting and welding, this is what was spawned to life:

Bet it's the most fancy rear crossmember you've seen on a Cherokee, East of California Very Happy Very Happy

PS: It isn't placed at the right spot yet, need to set my ride height, it's obviously going to sit lower

ScottieJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.frimodt wrote:
Thanks, don't worry, I aint done yet Wink

Didn't think you was but thought id ask anyway. That rear crossmember will look quite cool once its in its final position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: