Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Volvo C303/TGB11?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Pinzgauer, Haflinger, Volvo C3 and TGB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chicken drumstick
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 83

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Volvo C303/TGB11? Reply with quote

Hi. I stumbled across the Volvo C303 the other day. Up until then I had no idea they existed. But I'd like to learn more about them.

I've read several websites so far and found some great info out, but I've got a few questions I've not yet found answers too.

- Where in the UK can you buy such a vehicle? Specifically the 4x4 variant. I've tried Google, Ebay and a few other places but apart from somewhere in the USA I've not been able to find any for sale Sad

- One of the websites I read info on said the Volvo was cheaper than a Pinz or a LR101FC. What sort of money do C303's go for? As I've so far failed to find any for sale, I simply haven't a clue on their value.

- How do they compare to something like a Pinz or a LR101FC off road (and on road). With locking diffs I suspect they are better than the Landy. But given some challenging terrain which of these 3 would you chose and why? I guess things like stability, axle articulation, approach/departure angles would be the things to compare, as well as gearing crawl speed and engine tractability

Thanks in advanced.

BTW - I did see the Volvo forum here on Difflock, but it looked a little quiet so thought I'd try here first.
scut44

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

I am sure the Volvo section would have sprung into life if you had posted there.

Hopefully Richard D will be along shortly with his vast and most useful knowledge on the subject.
Plenty others on the forum have knowledge of the Volvo's, 101's etc.

i know nowt on them.
www.forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=67727
www.forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=66409
www.volvoc303.co.uk

george

Last edited by scut44 on Tue May 29, 2012 10:15 am; edited 2 times in total
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the 6 wheel version and would like to own one one day.

They sometimes pop up for sale, i've seen them offered from a few grand for an ex army example up to fifteen for one prepared for overland.

I believe they are a 6 cylinder petrol. If its anything like the old 6 cylinder petrol unimogs they rely completely on low gearing and are hard work to drive but very capable and great fun.

You can buy ex army and import but I would have no idea on cost.

chicken drumstick
Winch Assistant

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Yeah maybe should have posted in the other forum. Maybe someone will move the thread?

From what I've read most c303's are ex-mil, this would be fine with me. But I've still completely failed at locating any for sale.

But I guess its price of them too that's important, at the moment I don't even know if I could afford one or not, which would kind of rule how much interest I can vest in them.

A few grand upto £5k doesn't sound so bad, wouldn't want an expedition one, just a hard top that wasn't falling apart or rusted. Anything more than that and it would be a bit rich for just an occasional use vehicle.

GVstu
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2314

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These local guys to me often have the weird and wonderful in stock, worth checking out every so often, or might even give you food for thought:

http://www.jacksonsgarage.com/vehiclesales.asp

Let Luce
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4018

1977 Land Rover 101

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.c303.de/c303-en/buy-c303.htm#p2
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.volvoc303.co.uk read and enjoy

try contacting Michael Hultengren in Sweden who often has some available
hultis4x4@hotmail.com

I would recommend the TGB13 command cab as the best all round.
Off road - amazing. Better than the 101 by miles. Pinz v Volvo? no idea only ever had a volvo (or 10)

jamie_grieve
Articulating

Odometer: 876

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The removeable body on the C304's is a handy feature too depending on what you want to do with them.
I reckon you'll struggle to find a good one for much less than 5K in the UK that's taxed, tested and ready to go.

They are slightly bigger than the Pinz, have a bit more power, width and clearance. I've never had or seen a back to back comparison.
I'd expect the Pinz would fair better on a high speed pot holed gravel road but the Volvo potentially better towing a trailer across a logging operation.
I doubt there would be much in it. They both have way more capability than the 101 and are probably more durable as well. wheel travel on both is good, as are all the relevant angles.

The C304 with an ambulance body fitted is a bit underpowered and as said rely on low gears to get through. It's a different beast altogether with the body and the top of the cab and doors off. It really flies then.

Have a look at the youtube videos of Praga V3s if you want something with portals, difflocks, diesel etc and very very capable. Most are pre 60's so will be MOT exempt and require a car license.
dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2185

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two for sale on milweb at the moment.
chicken drumstick
Winch Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Pinzgauer, Haflinger, Volvo C3 and TGB All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: