Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Falklands Mog?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turnip
Just got MTs

Odometer: 192

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Falklands Mog? Reply with quote

Switched on the box last night and there were a couple interviewing Jeremy Vine - then it panned onto a Falklands tribute. A couple of minutes in there was a brief shot of a round cabbed Unimog, screen down with a wacking great big gun or rocket launcher running up the middle - forward facing and loaded with troops - I think they were Brits!
Whats the story there then? Did we use those in the Falklands? Have we ever used them in our army - or was it an Argy vehicle?
It looked for all the world like a 404 but only a brief shot - just wondered?

johnhughes
Gate Opener

Odometer: 40

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argys had a selection of models but i don't which ones they took to the falklands.

Shocked

j
dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2185

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some 404's used by the Argentinians, but there was an issue with the service plan by Mercedes (the didn't pay or something...), so they became a bit of a white elephant. They were used in the Falklands but the british army 'accosted' them.

They were taken back to Britain and painted up in Military drab, and have been seen driving about and doing some light duty to the mid 80's.

These are the only known 404's which served in the British army, so to upset the unimog purists, it's totally correct to paint up a 404 in olive drab with UK markings Wink

All of the above is AFAIK. Mogmanner (who's not posted on here for a long while) recalled seeing some driving down the a1 many moons back with british troops in them painted up in british colours.
Turnip
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - ha! so my eyes didnt deceive me? If I knew how......I imagine that one could view that news clip from the "One Show" and post the picture on here?
I imagine that if they were 404s they may have given the squaddies a bit of a time getting used to that gear pattern! I know mine had nothing to show where they were and being used to Landrovers................it took a while!

johnhughes
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not entirely true DX, the british army used 404's extensively in the berlin brigade, although they were paid for by the german government. there was also a training section with 404's in caterick so squaddies could get to grip with the 404 gear selection. i do have photos somewhere.

Confused

j
dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik Wink which can quickly translate to f'all Wink

Picks would be good though, all picks of mogs are good. Does remind me I need to give graham a call and catch up.

Seems my u1300 suffers from squadies learning the gear change. Gear to pull the rump box off and have a look at the syncros.

Hey J I've moved the day on the clog btw Wink
agrimog
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 65
Location: in the middle of some forest in sw scotlandlaughing at al the stuck lr's

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had 406's in the air force for the harriers, most were in germany, but some went to the falklands and a few in belize, most were auto boxes for towing the aircraft about
dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common as muck Wink the harrier shunters. The diesel mogs appear enough, it's the elusive 404's which never really were in the uk army.
johnhughes
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos for the unbelievers;

Note the standard British army REG, tac signs and bridge plates, union flags etc. The X series registrations were all berlin brigade vehicles paid for by the german gov, though this included everything from 404's to mungas to LR 109 to tanks. Unfortunately these regs were unique in that they were reused when a vehicle was cast so its of no help identifying when a vehicle was bought. the last photo of a 404 towing a mowbat is the somerset and cornwall reg at a review in 1968. I do have a few more but they show parts of 404's on the edge of shots

Shocked

j
Turnip
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Good Pics Reply with quote

Good pics John! I like them! It was worth starting the thread just to get those!! Ive noticed mine has a round yellow plate on the grill? I guess that is a bridging plate? This could mean that mine was a secret military development..................... or it just looked pretty!!

Phil

dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant Very Happy

Now, do you have any photo's of the angola diesel 404 Laughing
GVstu
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2314

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Good Pics Reply with quote

Turnip wrote:
Good pics John! I like them! It was worth starting the thread just to get those!! Ive noticed mine has a round yellow plate on the grill? I guess that is a bridging plate? This could mean that mine was a secret military development..................... or it just looked pretty!!

Phil

More pics of yours please. Cool

fourtrak craige
Articulating

Odometer: 863

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Good Pics Reply with quote

Turnip wrote:

wow this looks nice, i'll buy it off you for a fiver Razz

now seriously, thats looks the mutts nuts, so wish i had one

for all diahatsu parts give bloodredoffroad.com a call
johnhughes
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turnip, your wagon was clearly a top secret MAD MAX prototype, it IS the tonka toy of the 404 world, and its diesel!!!

Will now have to pull out photos of angolan diesel 404's for DX

Cool

j
johnhughes
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this Royal Air Force 406 towing a Harrier Jump jet as used in Port Stanley Airport;

RAF Unimog 406 Aircraft Tractor Moving Harrier Jet. - YouTube

Shocked

j
bigt
Just got MTs

Odometer: 179

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that unimogs were used on the Falkland Islands. I served there in 1987 and `liberated` a vin plate from a 406 unimog. This plate has the usual markings with a addtional stamp BWB667 and a bird motif. There was a large scrap compound at Mount Pleasant and everything made of metal was dumped for disposal. Disposal for metal objects was a ocean going tug towing barges which were loaded with all metal objects - 40ft containers down to oil drums. The scrap merchant then took it all away, not sure where to. The scrap compound, at the time, was full of vehicles which had reached the end of their useful lives. Ranging from Seddon-Atkinson tractor units to landrovers. I also `liberated` 2 vin plates from ex Argentine Mercs - typ 461.2. The mercs would of been used by the British, registered with CV plates, until they could no longer be kept roadworthy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Mercedes & Unimog All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: