Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

TX help please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Radio Controlled Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnno73
Gate Opener

Odometer: 15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: TX help please. Reply with quote

Good evening Difflock RCr's, I hope all are well.

Could do with a little help if possible.

I bought on of these today http://www.modelzone.co.uk/carzone-1-10-rc-elec...ormer-truggy.html as it seemed to be quite a good deal for an RTR truck.

The problem I'm having is that the transmitter doesn't seem to be working. As a complete novice to the whole "hobby" RC thing, I'm hoping I'm missing something rather than something actually being wrong. Flicking the power switch on the transmitter, I reckon the LED should come on to let me know it's powered up. But it doesn't Confused !
Is there a possibility I haven't seen a switch on the servo or esc as awell as the main power switch on the truck?

I'm hoping not to have to back to Modelzone tomorrow, but if I have to....

Cheers,

John.
GVstu
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2314

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

OK so reading your post:

The TX power LED doesn't illuminate but (I assume) the one on the car does?

On the RX on the car, there isn't any small button that reads something like "bind" or anything like that?

I must admit being as it's a RTR vehicle it should just go...

The TX power supply is that a set of single batteries or one "taped together" unit? Batteries all ok on that? They do require a bit of juice so no cheap batteries but it sounds odd that nothing is illuminating at all with it.

Might be worth a trip back to MZ if you can't get that TX to power up...

Johnno73
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted now Stu, but thanks for the quick reply.

The TX takes 8 x AA. All were brand new Duracell doodahs and when things weren't working last night I took them out and put them back a couple of times. This morning I tested them all in another wee 6v motor from my sons (read - mine Wink) Meccano set and all were fine. I put them back in, hit the switch and bingo - red and green LED's just about blinded me!

I hit the switch on the truggy, and the LED's on the RX and the ESC blinked on, it played a wee electronic tune and away we went! Happy days! Very Happy

Although I was certain I had seated the batteries in the TX properly, I obviously hadn't got it quite right.

Now, what about LiPo batteries and an uprated motor? Any suggestions? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
GVstu
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnno73 wrote:
All sorted now Stu, but thanks for the quick reply.

The TX takes 8 x AA. All were brand new Duracell doodahs and when things weren't working last night I took them out and put them back a couple of times. This morning I tested them all in another wee 6v motor from my sons (read - mine Wink) Meccano set and all were fine. I put them back in, hit the switch and bingo - red and green LED's just about blinded me!

I hit the switch on the truggy, and the LED's on the RX and the ESC blinked on, it played a wee electronic tune and away we went! Happy days! Very Happy

Although I was certain I had seated the batteries in the TX properly, I obviously hadn't got it quite right.

Now, what about LiPo batteries and an uprated motor? Any suggestions? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Haha great news mate I like an easy fix Laughing

Ah the lipo action... dangerous game that, gets expensive all those broken parts Wink

I stoically refuse to run lipo so far... on the basis that there were "too many things to go wrong" and having seen some of my mates have to abandon running their trucks at meets due to issues with lipo cutoff switches not working right and the rest I just opted to stay with NiMH which I had loads of and the charger.

Tempted recently though with the way some of these things can move, they really shift.

Have fun mate get some pics ! Cool

Johnno73
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a mistake to ask for pics Confused ! The wife despairs coz I don't really need an excuse to pick up the camera!

The problem that I have now is that because it's Modelzones own home-brew buggy, I can't find any info on the ESC or motor - without pulling it apart - to investigate the possibilities of upgrades. I've read a wee bit about LiPo and reckon I'll stay with NiMH for a while! I bought a 3000 MaH battery yesterday, and the difference in performance from the 1800 supplied is surprising.

I can see this becoming ANOTHER expensive hobby......... Shocked
discosteve
Just got MTs

Odometer: 336
Location: Sunny Barnstaple at weekends on the road during the week

1997 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R/C can be a very expensive hobby I have 1 nitro car in bits awaiting repair a 1/8 (huge) rock crawler needs repair (can see a reacuring theme here lol) a 1/10 rock crawler awaiting new electrics and I've just got rid of a trex500 lipo powered helicopter (very expensive) it was all starting to get too much for my bank account so something had to go an I've slowed down on the r/c toys lol (more time with the wife and kids)

That said I was always happy with a new kit in front of me waiting to be built lol

Enjoy the hobby mate

Steve
GVstu
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cool pics mate glad it's up and running! Cool

I wish my boy was old enough to drive these things, he's nearly 2 so I suppose I have a while to wait yet.

Oh a seperate note my 1/10th scale honcho can tow him along the street when he's in his pushchair...

...don't ask me how i found that out Wink Laughing

Johnno73
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be too keen to let your son loose on any of your toys Shocked !

Chassis trashed already, will post pics when I get to a pc Crying or Very sad .
I can get either a carbon fibre or alloy replacement and admit I'm swaying towards the alloy one. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Cheers,

John.
discosteve
Just got MTs

1997 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon fibre shatters mate Ali simply bends or snaps in that event drill and brace either side

Steve

GVstu
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

discosteve wrote:
Carbon fibre shatters mate Ali simply bends or snaps in that event drill and brace either side

Steve

Steve's right that is a good method - and yes I would deffo go Ali.

So it's been smashed up already oh dear damn that "hobby grade" gear what it should read as is "easily breakable grade"

( Get pics so we can go "ooooooooohhhhh" and make that sucking air sound through our teeth Laughing )

discosteve
Just got MTs

1997 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAJEROstu wrote:

( Get pics so we can go "ooooooooohhhhh" and make that sucking air sound through our teeth Laughing )

Lol

Steve

Johnno73
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit, I wasn't expecting it to be quite so "fragile" Confused . Looking at where it's broken, I'm surprised it's not a bit more beefy around the chassis mounting points for the front swing arms.
Although I'm still what you'd call a novice pilot Embarassed , I'm sure even the most experienced still have the occasional "off" resulting in quite heavy front end impacts?

I reckon alloy is defo the way to go for a new chassis, but the only ones I've managed to track down are from the US, around the £30 mark.
How I'm gonna manage to sneak it past the Mrs is a total mystery though, as she went strangely quiet when she figured out it cost £150 in the first place.......
discosteve
Just got MTs

1997 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have it sent to work then spray it black take the rc car to work an swap the bits over....sorted

Steve

Johnno73
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had thought about that, but not sure how I would manage to get it all through airport security and on to the chopper out to the rig!

May just fess up and blame it on my 6 year old or his 7 year old cousin who both had a go with it on Sunday!

Off to find a linky for the chassis and let you chaps source one in the UK Wink !!
GVstu
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnno73 wrote:
Had thought about that, but not sure how I would manage to get it all through airport security and on to the chopper out to the rig!

May just fess up and blame it on my 6 year old or his 7 year old cousin who both had a go with it on Sunday!

Off to find a linky for the chassis and let you chaps source one in the UK Wink !!

I'm sure it can be done mate, we hate those pesky customs charges and the like....

TBH mate I'm not surprised it got broken in short order, anything that comes in Hobby Grade is just about garunteed to smash in half as soon as you look at it.

I'm into scale RC, I pretty much make everything in metal because pound for pound the stresses and "scale impacts" that these things endure is pretty high, imagine crashing into that kerb in your 1:1 at 40mph...

That's why I preffer slow scale 4x4s grunting their way up mountains and the like, got sick of expensive fast things exploding on me Wink

Johnno73
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately (for my bank account Shocked), it's the sheer speed of these things that fascinates me.
A 2 minute walk from my front door is a track that has been used for UK and Euro championships for many years. Back in the day, it was all nitro cars and I used to Marshall for them, righting the cars and replacing them on the track after crashes. As I'm sure you're aware, these things are capable of in excess of 70mph in a straight line and are hugely impressive! The noise of a nitro at full chat is also awesome.
The reason for buying this truggy is because it fairly scoots on, but isn't limited to the tarmac.

Having watched several of the videos posted on here of the scalers getting down and dirty, I can see the appeal, but it'll be a long time before I'll even contemplate getting hold of one of them!
discosteve
Just got MTs

1997 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just noticed you live in Stonehaven how well do you know muchalls ? As I lived there between 82-89 a long time ago I know lol

Steve

Johnno73
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Small world Laughing!

I've driven past Muchalls literally thousands of times over the last 20 odd years, but could count on both hands the number of times I've actually been through it!
You'll obviously know the track in Stonehaven I'm talking about then? Did you ever go to any of the race meets?
discosteve
Just got MTs

1997 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know it lol I used to catch a bus down there in the summer with my old dear lol just brought back loads of memories

Steve

Johnno73
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the fella.

http://www.eskyhelicopter.com/airy-aluminium-cn...-hsp-111001t.html

Would anyone know if they're available in the UK?

Cheers,

John.
Tramp
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1745

1992 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4634.m570.l1313&_nkw=hsp+chassis&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I don't know what model your car is........

Don't worry, fixing them is half the fun, I used to run my nitro buggy on the street It really isn't big enough, I've lost count of the amount of wish bones and steering knuckles I've had to replace,

http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnno73
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As requested, a piccie of the damage.

Not as impressive as I'm sure some were hoping, but enough to disable the beastie until the new ali one appears from Hong Kong of all places!

Tramp, thanks for the eBay linkie, but I've gone for a chassis that appears to be a direct replacement for the original. I don't know enough about the interchangeability yet to know which ones would fit.

I reckon ali front lower arms will likely be next on the list! Those and front drive shafts Confused . oh, and shocks. And hub carriers. And........ Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Radio Controlled Models All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: