Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

602's new toy.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 10758

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: 602's new toy. Reply with quote

Hi,

Just to let you know, I've got me a 1960 LWB Series Two Landy. The plan was to convert to campervan, fit TDi engine, cobble up a powere steering system. But I suspect this one is going to be too original to mutilate. Doh!

I'll post some photos when I get it home.

Next problem is Barbara's Xmas prezzie. What does she want? "A digital radio!" "Can we afford £400 for a Bosal?" ......and that was me back in the dog-house. Double Doh!

Damian
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 8838

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can empathise. My old Series I was totally original and every time I came up with an idea to mod it was a huge dilemma, that's one of the reasons why I sold it!

I've got my eye on two old Series II's, one is a tatty old swb, the other is a lwb with a proper Richards 109 galv, coil sprung chassis with a RR running gear!

Fetch me a coffee & no one gets hurt.
Hooli
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2217

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's ****!
Damian
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooli wrote:

LOL... you've been on the OLLR forum too much! That's a great website btw.

Hooli
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damian wrote:
Hooli wrote:

LOL... you've been on the OLLR forum too much! That's a great website btw.

The what? I'll have to have a look at that. I read it on a sticker stuck to a mate'SPAM-MOD S3 109.

Nathaniel
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 17901

1979 Suzuki LJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda miss my 109 SIII FFR.
With its God awful handling and fuel consumption.

I've just discovered the truck cab I had for it at the farm, would've made a superb pickup for logging this winter.

If You Open Your Mind Too Much Your Brain Will Fall Out
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger eBay Name
Let Luce
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4018

1977 Land Rover 101

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooli wrote:

The what? I'll have to have a look at that. I read it on a sticker stuck to a mate'SPAM-MOD S3 109.

Read the sticker a bit more closely and you'll see the URL.
Hooli
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let Luce wrote:
Hooli wrote:

Read the sticker a bit more closely and you'll see the URL.

Oh Embarassed I blame the mud on it.

Damian
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been nearly a week and you did say that when you got home you'd post piccies. Now I reckon even with a Series II, no matter where you bought it from in the UK you really should be home by now!!

Ahem, piccies please! Wink

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Damian,

Its now 0730 on Wednesday morning.

XUC 173 was scheduled to arrive in Glynneath (from London) yesterday, at about 14.00hrs. She actually arrived at 17.30hrs, when it was dark. She was on the back of a man-sized recovery truck, which was bigger than I was told to expect. First bit of fun was getting the big truck into a 15ft wide back lane, then reversing it round a 90* corner into another 15ft wide back lane. Only a few inches to spare .... and it was pitch black. "Yes it rolls!" said the Vendor. We had to push it down the tilt-bed to get it off. It was dumped in the middle of my back-lane .... I hope nobody wants to even walk past it .... and I went indoors for a bath. It is only just getting light, as I type this, so I haven't had a chance to examine her.

The RF60 (buff log-book) shows that it was first registered to the British Broadcasting Cororation. London.W1., later 9 Weir Road, in Balham. It seems to have stayed in London until at least 1971, with no changes of owner.

The original tax class was GOODS, later changed to TRAILER GOODS. There is a hand writen note that the UNLADEN WEIGHT is 1 ton 10 cwts 100lbs. The Engine Number is blank. There seems to be no provision to record the ENGINE NUMBER. The RATING is blank.

The MOT that came with the documents is dated July 1984, Tested in North London. Mileage was 48700. I have not yet looked to see the present mileage.

The V5 was issued in April 1984, when it was converted to computer record. The ENGINE SIZE is shown as 1997cc, (should be 2286cc) and the ENGINE NUMBER is shown to be the same as the CHASSIS NUMBER (151000509). (I know DVLC had problems with Fords, about that time, as Ford engines did not have a number, saying it was the same as the chassis number. NUMBER OF FORMER KEEPERS - NONE SINCE APRIL 1984. TAXATION CLASS - UNLICENCED (ie - not currently taxed). The keeper at that time lived at a farm in Weybridge. He appears to have been the only keeper other than the BBC.

And now you know as much as I do. Next instalment of this thrilling saga to continue later, but first I have to get dressed, devour a bowl of "soggies", walk the dog, and wash the dishes. After that, I will try to nerf it down to the end of the lane with my Disco. It should be fun turning it thru 90*, so I can get it into my garage. Probably have to do a mixture of hand cranking, and humping sideways with a high-lift jack. Can anyvbody near Glynneath lend me a cranking handle? Pretty please? Somebody in Bridgend has offered. That is assuming that the engine turns.

Photos will be posted as soon as possible.

Hooli
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your going to have a fun day 602 Very Happy
Damian
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only you weren't 4 hours away I'd love t come down and offer a helping hand...

Don't forget to take plenty of notes and photos, it sounds like it would be a great feature for a magazine!

scut44

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy yourself, sound great.

Remember John to SORN it now/again with yourself as Keeper.

When you change the V5 they cancel the SORN that is running untill 2012 with the change of keeper
& then they chase you up on not having a current SORN.
(& try to fine you, got the T Shirt earlier this year.)

george
Winnet
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 14725

1985 Land Rover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for the pics.

G.

All these questions and more after the tea break.
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No need to SORN it, its only done 178 miles since it was MOT'd ...... in 1984. Shocked

I've taken a lot of photos, lots of interesting little details, which I have moved to PHOTOBUCKET, but I only know how to move one piccy at a time. Advise?

Herewith a pic of where the delivery driver dropped it, as he couldn't get any further passed the non-runner that an inconsiderate neighbour had parked outside his garage. I parked my 2CV afterwards.

More to follow.

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

And this is thye view from my garage.

I might have to break off if Barbara calls me for lunch . Sad

I don't know if you can see the sump lying in the back of the truck. Oh well, answers that question ..... no the engine doesn't turn. Sad Sad Sad

I reversed my Disco up to it, set the tow-ball to same height as front bumper, and slowly nerfed the Landy back. It didn't help that the OS front tyre was flat. I busted a gut correcting the steering every couple of feet. It also didn't helpo that some pbatt had dumped a couple of tons of rubble in the lane. Anyway, got it back to end of cul-se-sac lane single handed. Took about half an hour. Was frowned at by Barbara, cos she thought I'd strained my self.

mrcheese
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6339

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly habve a project there. Looking forward to seeing the build progress.
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is the Landy moved back as far as I can. My garage is tyhe one with the open door, on the left.

Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 40007

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a big job! Good luck with it
Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - yes that's right, I have a Zook!
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

And here is the side view, parked opposite my garage.

Note the two-piece side panel in the hard top. Also tropical roof, but no roof window. There are some interesting modifications to the bodywork, which I might post later if anybody is interested. ???

You will have noticed that it has black number plates, fore and aft. I also found two spares, one long, one square (oblong) lying in the cab, which are also black.

I found I can move her easily sideways, lift one end on hi-lift jack, then let it fall sideways .... but minimum of 12" shift per drop. But she is very reluctant to roll on her wheels, so I won't attempt to move her into the garage until I can find a cheapo wheel and tyre on Ebay .... preferably a Defender 110. The front tyre is perished and split, the other three are just perished. The rims are the early LWB type, wider than SWB, but wrong offset. I also have to move my trailer out of the garage before I move the Landy in .... Barbara insists. And anyway, I would be pushing my luck having three vehicles in the lane .... some of my neighbours have not forgiven me for managing to register my claim for Adverse Possession. Not a lot they can do, but best to keep the peace. Very Happy

Nil illegitimo carburundum.

Hooli
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claim for adverse possession? what did I miss there?

Does look a bit of a project, have fun with it.

Winnet
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 14725

1985 Land Rover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is trying to gain full control of the lane and thence the world.

G.

All these questions and more after the tea break.
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claim for adverse possession? what did I miss there?

Hi,

I found a bloke who found a loophole in the legislation. Very Happy

I only did it because a neighbour was "claiming" a bit of land that I considered "mine".

scut44

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent
www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro
'Vehicle enquiry'
Alasdair
Just got MTs

Odometer: 117

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, interesting patina Smile Are you going for a sympathetic restoration, or full refurb?
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, interesting patina Are you going for a sympathetic restoration, or full refurb?

Hi Alasdair,

It was bought with the intension of converting into a day-van, to be used in conjunction with my little "bivvy" caravan. That would mean a table in the back (saves making the bed in the caravan every day Very Happy ), free standing hob, and a simple bucket loo (got to remember my age Sad ).

Buy I'm trying to work out a way of fitting an emengency bed, 6ft x 4.5ft, and get full standing headroom. I've already done the sketches for both, but am having difficulty in copying them to Photoplus. The original plan was to drop in a TD1 engine, and 5-speed gearbox with Series transfer box. And I have a novel idea for power steering. So far, I haven't found anything to suggest the chassis or bulkhead need replacing.

But nothing is writen in stone. Having said that, I think a full renovation to as original is beyond both my wallet and life-span. So first things first ....

She is reluctant to roll, I hope due to the flat tyre, and the flat tyre is making steering virtually impossible when working alone ...... and all the £0.99 wheel and tyre listings have disappeared off Ebay. Does anybody know if my Disco spare wheel allow full steering lock, or is the off-set (in-set?) too much. At least that would let me to get the truck into my garage ...... if .....

The engine is frozen, hopefully because it has been standing for 27 years.
That means that I can't roll it into the garage on the crank handle, and I don't have access to lots of friendly SPAM. There isn't room to nerf it in with the Disco. I do have a hi-lift jack, which can be used for pulling, but I will probably want that to make sideways adjustments to the angle of approach. At my last house, I could pull a LWB Landy up my 1:8 drive, using a 1000kg boat winch. The drum would get full of cable every 10ft, so I had to chock a wheel, unwind, and take another snatch. It would take me about 20 minutes to haul 1.5 tons up the 30ft slope, but only developing a mild sweat. While lying in bed, pondering, this morning, it crossed my mind that a starter motor stuck in mesh will give you all the symptoms of a siezed engine, but can be released with the flick of a 1/4" Whitworth spanner. Naw! I couldn't be that lucky ....but I'll have to try.

In the meantime, does anybody have any ideas about how to unstick a frozen engine? And will the engine be usable afterwards? Before I lift the engine out, I will see if the crank is in a position where I can slacken the big-end nuts, apply a block of wood to bottom of piston, and belt with a big hammer, from underneath. I have freed enines by belting the top of the piston, but maybe 27 years is too long a time to be standing. And in those days, 50 miles per pint of oil was acceptable.

My Series One had an even more interesting patina. It had stood in a field for several years, and had been muck-sprayed annually. It was 13 years before I finally removed it all.

Mr Tyre
Mr Tyre

Odometer: 4957

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

602, i'm not sure if you would get full lock or not due to the Disco's extra 1.5 inches of width.I know it's extra work but why not shove the D1 wheel on the back and then move the rear tyre to the front.Or just try it on the front and see how it goes.I'm not much help am i sorry.
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr Tyre,

Not at all, thats a useful suggestion. I'd have probably got there myself... once my brain had got past the Freudian avoidance of thoughts that involve the work involved.

Mind you, the other three tyres are pretty rotten, but at least they are holding air.

Hooli
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dump some diesel down the plug holes & leave it for a bit, that's meant to be damn good at freeing stuck rings.
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The story so far. Diesel poured dow the plug holes, no change. Pull cylinder head, diesel still on topof pistons. Larrup with 7lb sledge with block of wood on top of pistons. Nothing moved. Drop big end caps (sump was alredsy off). Stick steel bar up int pistons, and larrup. Nos 3&4 move up their bores, Nos 1 & 2 don't, so crank will not turn either way. Abandon Plan A.

Decide to manhandle LR intop garage, using wheelbrace with extension pipe on wheel nut, to move truck. NS wheel for backwards, OS wheel for forwards, so nut doesn't undo. Use Hi-lift jack to move end of truck sideways, lift in middle then push sideways, let it fall off the jack, moving deveral inches at a time. Turn LR thru 90*, so it is pointing at garage door. Sleep on it, decide to abandon Plan B.

This morning have decided to enter garage front first, as I included a 9" x 2" x 18ft wooden joist when I built the garage. If the engine neds to come out, it might as well come out easy. So Hi-lift jack and wheel brace used again to rotate LR thru 180*. Took me three hours to get it into the garage, by which time I was feeling everyone of my 72 years. Oh, the pain!

Yes, even 9" x 2" isn't strong enough to support about quarter of a ton of LR engine, in the middle of an 18ft beam. But if I poke a couple of sheerlegs underneath, I can reduce that span to about 6ft. At least thats the plan. Wish me luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Land Rover All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: