Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Jeep 4.0, tarantini single point leaking problems ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> LPG, Bio Diesel and Alternative Fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trolley
Gate Opener

Odometer: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Jeep 4.0, tarantini single point leaking problems ? Reply with quote

Hi there!
I just bought my jeep yesterday.... when we picked it up it had no gas in it. I took it and filled it up and it seemed to run great.

It went though the gas in no time... literaly miles.. unfortunately after id bought it.

I filled it up and took it to an LPG installer i know to be a good one. Straight away he told me that the stepper motor should be an electronic one and not a screw type....

He replaced that at £80 and sent us on our way.
It then used all 60 litres over 40 miles !

The car stinks of gas.
The exhaust stinks of gas.
There does seem to be enough gas in the tank to drive it around slowly but not on full power since the trip back.

Im probably stating the obvious here but i must have a leak ? Either that or its pouring too much through the engine ?
It does seem to run fairly stable on the gas so i asume i can rule out that its burning too much and go back to the leak ?

Ive checked the mixer ring by spraying brake cleaner around the mixer ring to see if it sucks any in.... It seems air tight...

Ive been in the boot and looked at the tank connectors they all seem good....

Just wondered if anyone had any simular experiences ?

What should be my first port of call ? I have very limited LPG experience but do have a basic understanding of the system ?

scut44

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you need to shut off the LPG tank.
If there is a leak its flowing down to ground level. Sad

Not to good for you or passengers either.
Shocked (smoking is not advised)

Next visit a proper qualified & interested LPG installer.
Thats a Qualified Motor Vehicle Mechanic/engineer that has interest in your & the publics safety.

Sorry dont know the answers for you, on whats wrong.
but my experiences of running LPG most of the time but going over to petrol sometimes, (as you used to be advised)
was that over time seals in the carb/fuel system dried out
& leaked like a seive.

After this happened to me twice, i never started or ran on petrol again,
just had things set up for LPG starting/running.
Ran like this for 5 years with 2 vehicles.

Maybe post in the LPG/fuel section as well, incase your post hasnt been spotted.

all the best
george

davew
Articulating

Odometer: 938

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I'd run it on petrol only and take it to someone who understands the system.

The UK distributors for Tartarini aren't a million miles away from you, they're at Carlton Minniot near Thirsk. They will do a full inspection and certification of the installation for you as well as diagnosing and fixing any problems.

http://www.autogas2000.com/

I'd book it in and take it to them as soon as you can. LPG isn't something you want to mess with. It's denser than air and a leak will fan out from the vehicle at ground level until it finds a source of ignition at which point the whole "cloud" will ignite like a large carpet of flame. You may not even be able to smell it beforehand as the bulk of it will be at your feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgMB-s_ldY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POWV-p8erY0
trolley
Gate Opener

Odometer: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replys.
Ive fixed the leak it was a slack jubilie clip on the air filter to mixer hose.

Still wont run right. Works on the flat but wont pull up hills. Feels like fuel starvation.

Was going to turn the tank of run the gas in the pipes empty and attempt to have a look at the vaporiser. Apparently you can drain sludge out the bottom but i couldn't find a drain plug...

I also couldn't find any filters.....

Strange but booked it in with the gas man for next week, see what he says.

Rossko
Articulating

Odometer: 757

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be split diaphragm, might be set up wrong ; I'm sure the guy will find it.
webber1982
Just got MTs

Odometer: 367

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi m8 im a Authorised Tartarini dealer and ran a grand cherokee on the very same system for many years i have all the repair items in stock for that and the newer lpg injection systems its not usually the stepper motor that is broken when people decide to change them for a manual flow valve, the stepper takes its orders from the lpg ecu which recives its info from the o2 sensor in the exhaust. Id be happy to take a look at the system for you if you were over this way if so just drop me a pm.

Otherwise

i notice someone below has given you the website for autogas 2000 they are the sole uk importers of tartarini lpg equipment, if you give them a ring on 01845 523213 ask for either jon or chris tell them martin from north west gases has given you their number they should look after you Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> LPG, Bio Diesel and Alternative Fuels All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: