Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Newbie to RC needs some advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Radio Controlled Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazymac
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2389

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Newbie to RC needs some advice Reply with quote

Hi all

My other half bought me a Discovery 3 RC model for a present last year, it was second hand but in good nick. Its one of the New Bright 1:6 Scale remote control Land Rover.

However the motor now spins but does not push the car along. I've had it apart and tried to fix but getting nowhere.

Is there anything I can do to sort this? Is there an upgrade option that would work?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

The motor is inside the axle is pictured below.

http://www.ww4x4.co.uk/index.php
GVstu
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2314

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mate,

Well first thing to say really is those NB models arn't really up to that much, the lads (and I'm one of them) who build scale trucks / crawlers etc consider them to be toys with excellent shells (which everyone buys to stick onto their 'hobby grade' gear).

That said, I bought one of these years back (in orange) and faffed around modifying it to make it better, and before I 'saw the light' I really loved mine and spent hours upgrading it.

The motors that the truck uses are nothing special, I'd just go to Maplin and pick a motor that will physically fit into the housing inside the diff cherry. There is no 'upgrade' per-se, but you could replace motors no problem. When you say that the motor spins do you mean it still works but has become disconnected from the gears, or do you mean the motor spins and the gears are attached but nothing happens?

The PCB board in these trucks is prone to failure as well, does everything still function from the TX ?

Is there any chance of a pic of the motor setup inside your diff?

I can probably help you out or at the very least diagnose the issue.

Stu

crazymac
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAJEROstu wrote:

Well first thing to say really is those NB models arn't really up to that much, the lads (and I'm one of them) who build scale trucks / crawlers etc consider them to be toys with excellent shells (which everyone buys to stick onto their 'hobby grade' gear).

The motors that the truck uses are nothing special, I'd just go to Maplin and pick a motor that will physically fit into the housing inside the diff cherry. There is no 'upgrade' per-se, but you could replace motors no problem. When you say that the motor spins do you mean it still works but has become disconnected from the gears, or do you mean the motor spins and the gears are attached but nothing happens?

Thanks for the reply Stu. I kinda figured this was a kids toy compared to what you guys will run but the wife bought it so who am I to argue? Sticking the shell onto something else interests me!! Anyway, back to the problem......When under no friction (upside down) the motor spins the wheels happily, but as soon as I put it the right way up it cannot seem to push it along.

PAJEROstu wrote:

The PCB board in these trucks is prone to failure as well, does everything still function from the TX ?

Yes, all working fine there.

PAJEROstu wrote:

Is there any chance of a pic of the motor setup inside your diff?

PAJEROstu wrote:

I can probably help you out or at the very least diagnose the issue.

Stu

The gears engage fine but for some reason the "power" (i do use that term very loosely!) cannot transfer to the wheels?

Gandalf the Grey
Gate Opener

Odometer: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife bought one for me for Christmas (2009) and we were very disappointed that it won't go on grass only on a smooth surface.

The motor is obviously very weak as standard.

Is it possible to put in a stronger motor?
GVstu
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,

Don't be ashamed of it mate anything my wife makes / gives me I end up keeping forever no matter how tattered or broken Wink

Those newbright shells are really excellent, I know all th RC lads whine about not being able to buy them as spares from newbright rather than having to buy the model to go with them.

Nevermind though !

I think I'm beginning to see the issue here, when the truck is upside down and the wheels spin, if you were to grab one of the spinning wheels does it feel like there's any torque behind it at all ?

It sounds a bit like your motors could be goosed as looking at the pics the gears all seem to be right, is the gear that is attached to the output shaft on the motor secured in place? It may be secured enough to spin the wheels when there's no torque applied from them (upside down) but when there is torque (right way up) it's just spinning on the shaft.

If all the components are seemingly locked in the correct places then it's the motors that are knackered (which happens loads). The best thing to do in that situation is carefully dismantle the diff cherry again and remove that motor, take it down to Maplins and just say that you need something that is of the same physical dimensions which is 12V. I might have tried to match the disk capacitor on the motor as well as I suspect that's some sort of anti-glitching device but I doubt it's very effective, I remember when these models came without those. You could always desolder it and solder it onto a new motor.

Looking at your diff pic it is a shame the thing has gone wrong on you as it looks pretty clean in there, I've seen those filled with muck loads of times and still running.

I'm unsure as to what to advise you to look at next, I've stripped and rebuilt these things a million times before I gave up and got new gear.

Has this been running in water at all ?

GVstu
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gandalf the Grey wrote:
My wife bought one for me for Christmas (2009) and we were very disappointed that it won't go on grass only on a smooth surface.

The motor is obviously very weak as standard.

Is it possible to put in a stronger motor?

It probably is but the problem with that is the mounting and housing of it. As that pic of the diff cherry shows there's not much space in there.

I have read about a mod for these NB models which will give it a better gear reduction and allow it to crawl better but I never did it, I took the shell off mine and attached it to an AX10 scorpion when I got tired of trying to get more out of it.

All I did with mine was to remove the steering 'servo' and install a high torque servo (which didn't self centre) by simply wiring the thing directly to the feed on the NB model, cut glue cut glue superglue the high torque servo in and make a new steering arm, that worked brilliantly.

Oh and I removed all the (super stiff) springs and ran the truck as full droop (i.e. - the wheels drop down to meet the terrain rather than the terrain pressing hte wheels up and down with some dampening system). In full droop setup I had the truck clambering over way more than it did as stock.

The problem with these newbright models is you get them, they look great, you try stuff, it doesn't work, you faff, it still won't work, you give up and spend a fortune buying hobby grade gear.

Seriously with what I've spent on my three (so far) hobby grade trucks I could have bought another 1:1.

Check out my blog at : http://rc4x4.wordpress.com/

there's a load of pics on there etc

crazymac
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help Stu, most informative and the pics on your link show a very nice looking machine!

When I grab a spinning wheel I can hear the motor going but there is no movement in the gear cogs (done with the cover off so I can see whats happening or not), so I guess it is the motor, so i'll see about getting a new one.

Its only ever ran inside my house so no water or even grass to muck things up.

Thanks again
Brian

GVstu
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymac wrote:
Cheers for the help Stu, most informative and the pics on your link show a very nice looking machine!

When I grab a spinning wheel I can hear the motor going but there is no movement in the gear cogs (done with the cover off so I can see whats happening or not), so I guess it is the motor, so i'll see about getting a new one.

Its only ever ran inside my house so no water or even grass to muck things up.

Thanks again
Brian

Hi mate,

That's a damn shame those motors crapped out on you, especially considering they've only had indoor use. Don't buy anything PM me your address and I'll send you a pair of motors from one of the trucks I've butchered for a shell (seriously it's the only bit I'm interested in from the NB models). Swap them over and hopefully it'll spring back into life for you.

crazymac
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAJEROstu wrote:
Hi mate,

That's a damn shame those motors crapped out on you, especially considering they've only had indoor use. Don't buy anything PM me your address and I'll send you a pair of motors from one of the trucks I've butchered for a shell (seriously it's the only bit I'm interested in from the NB models). Swap them over and hopefully it'll spring back into life for you.

Thats great thanks, I'll send you a PM now and if you let me know how much the postage is i'll send that to you.

cheers
Brian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Radio Controlled Models All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: