Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

trailer VIN plates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Gear, Equipment and Vehicle Preparation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattzuki
Just got MTs

Odometer: 282

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: trailer VIN plates Reply with quote

I've been doing some searching but can't find a definitive answer...

do 'self-built' / home-made etc trailers need to display a VIN plate to comply with law?

My trailer's been getting alot of use (if anyone sees a white SJ/black hard-top with a white box trailer in Kent it's probably me), so I want make sure I'm legal.

Many thanks,

Matt / Mattzuki
paul_c
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1378

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if over 1020 (? I think) kgs gross weight. If you yourself have made the trailer from parts, then you're the manufacturer and you need to fit the plate. If you've adapted another trailer, then you should try to retain its plate. If there's so much adaption that its almost remanufactured, then there's no set rules (AFAIK) determining where the line is drawn, so common sense would apply. No doubt these rules don't apply for old trailers (1982 or before?? or 1997, something like that, can't remember) and neither do they apply retrospectively.

Hopefully someone who can clarify the bits I can't remember will see this and reply too.
Mattzuki
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. My trailer was built up from an older one and there's so little left of the older one that it could be considered new. The only thing that might determine the VIN plate issue in my case is that the trailer has a maximum gross weight of 500kgs due to the axle rating.

Cheers,

Matt.
trailer guy
Articulating

Odometer: 787

1994 Land Rover 110

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This'll help you:

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/identification_plates.aspx

Mattzuki
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...preferring to err on the side of caution I'll assume that the 'all trailers' in

'1982 regulations demand that all trailers, including unbraked ones, must be clearly marked with their maximum gross weight in kg. '

includes home-built one's like mine. Which gets you thinking...how many of those little box trailers being dragged down to the local tip every weekend are actually legal (let alone safe LOL).

Still, off to source/make a suitable plate.

Many thanks,

Matt
trailer guy
Articulating

Odometer: 787

1994 Land Rover 110

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Matt

I see plenty that aren't! When I put a quote in for doing work the customer can say 'no thanks' and that's it - nothing I can do. Can't wait for trailer MOTs... one day maybe... Laughing

There's actually no legal requirement for braked trailers up to 3500kg MAM to be fitted with a manufacturer's plate, for use on UK roads. VOSA recommends they do, though, for recalls etc.

Unbraked trailers have to be clearly marked with their unladen weight, maximum gross weight and year of manufacture. Though the info' doesn't have to be on a plate.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Very Happy

Cheers, Ben

Mattzuki
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ben,

I've been off-line for a while so only just seen your post. Your comments reflect what I suspected - no actual requirement for a proper plate on my own trailer, only the markings...VOSA of course will have their own interpretation of the law as usual!

Agree with you re trailer MOTees - too many dodgy soap boxes on wheels and decrepit caravans out there...it would save Sally Traffic alot of grief in the summer with over-turned caravans.

Many thanks again,

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Gear, Equipment and Vehicle Preparation All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: