Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Rear locker

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Rear locker Reply with quote

Well, as I mentioned some time back, I bought an air operated locker for the rear from Michael at Protrack in Greece. ( www.protrack.gr ).
I fitted it two weeks ago and have used it on road since then, mainly to make sure that I had done the job right and build up my confidence in the assembly. With everything working fine, I took it to an off road site today, where I had four occasions on which to use the locker.
Two were on uphill, axle twisted, rocky climbs, and two were on similar on levelish, muddy ground in a wooded area.
Without the locker, it would have required foot to the floor, bouncing all over the place, driving. And I doubt it would have got up the first two with open diffs! With the locker engaged, it was a relatively gentle drive over the obstacles - much gentler on the vehicle, all things considered!
With each obstacle. my confidence grew and, on the last, I engaged the locker on the move, and it did precisely what I wanted it to do!
Everything worked exactly as expected and to say I am very pleased with the result is an understatement!! Smile
There may, or may not, be photos in the near future - we'll have to wait and see!

Oh, and Michael also does these for Suzukis.

Regards,
baxter
Articulating

Odometer: 647

1990 Lada Niva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear locker Reply with quote

hoodoo wrote:

Without the locker, it would have required foot to the floor, bouncing all over the place, driving. And I doubt it would have got up the first two with open diffs! With the locker engaged, it was a relatively gentle drive over the obstacles - much gentler on the vehicle...

How does it compare to your LSD?

Er, and what's your plans for your old LSD? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LSD was good and had the benefit of being fully automatic in operation, but it would still allow one wheel off the ground to spin merrily with no drive to the other. This doesn't! Drive is positive to both wheels on the axle all the time it's in use.
Means that even less throttle application is required so easier on the vehicle. And I'm a great believer in the 'less effort required the better' theory! Very Happy Never been impressed by the foot to the floor merchants. Spent too much time helping them repair damage that shouldn't have happened.
It's easy to fit and easy to use, and works very well. Just requires me to think now, and that's the hard bit! Very Happy

For the time being, the LSD stays with me. Always handy as a spare!
Regards,
nivapulledout
Just got MTs

Odometer: 363

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could put the LSD in the front.

so did you set the diff up yourself after putting in the locker?

I am soo tempted to get one myself now and put it in my front diff

then I can keep that LSD spare,

LSD rear and LOCKER in the front, now that is a winning combo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, set it up myself. Had one that had already been done as an open diff, so took the diff out but left the pinion in place. Then put the locker in and used another already done diff as a guide for clearances etc. Finally took it to my local garage for a final opinion, and he said he was happy with it. First one I've done and it seems to be working well.
Won't put the LSD in the front, not with full time drive, just in case! But your LSD in rear, air locker in front is a very viable proposition!
I believe Madman will shortly have a variation on this on the road.

These are the NNOC Club members present at the testing day. As you can see, three vehicles with four people - hardly an impressive turnout, is it? Not much left of the Niva side of the Club over here, which is why we now accept all makes as members.
Regards,
madman
Just got MTs

Odometer: 203

1996 Lada Niva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoodoo wrote:
I believe Madman will shortly have a variation on this on the road.

Hehehe, yeah... I have two of them on the way here. I'm worse than a kid waiting for Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your results are going to be very entertaining! Very Happy

By the way, the union into the diff for the air line requires tapping. I didn't realise until too late, so had to adopt a variation!

Regards,
nivapulledout
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the air connection go through the diff head housing or the actual diff housing ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through the pumpkin. Effectively alongside the pinion. At least, that's where mine's gone! Very Happy
Regards,
Red ant
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 62

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got some pics?
How much was it?
I'd imagine you have to withdraw the driveshafts so when I do my back wheel bearings could be a good oportunity to fit a locker.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, driveshafts have to come out to get the pumpkin out. You'll find photos on Baxter's site, and, as regards price, you'd be better contacting Michael himself at www.protrack.gr . Price may vary due to exchange fluctuations.
Regards,
baxter
Articulating

Odometer: 647

1990 Lada Niva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full write up on the instalation and performace report at: http://www.ladaniva.co.uk/baxter/resources/Hood...otrack_locker.htm

nivapulledout
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay cheers for that
Rotordogg
Just got MTs

Odometer: 180

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baxter wrote:
Full write up on the instalation and performace report at: http://www.ladaniva.co.uk/baxter/resources/Hood...otrack_locker.htm

That's a good write up, I'm jelous of your diff now!! Smile

nivapulledout
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Kiwis keen on getting one of these as I will be ordering one around early nov time. drop me a pm if you are and we can do a group buy
Rotordogg
Just got MTs

Odometer: 180

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see from the pic's the basic's of it's working process, Is there any pic's in the box that it came in to show it's internal working's?

Out of interest do you know if it uses LSD type flat plate's pushed tighter to lock it, or does it use toothed plates to lock (like a ARB)??

I'm not expecting you to pull it appart or anything, just interested to know i fyou have more info...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pistons on the side pull the vertical ring across to the left and push a toothed ring in to lock. You can see the disengagement springs in the photo. It's solidly built!
Regards,
nivapulledout
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hay Hoodoo

is it possible for you to take a pic of where your air fitting comes out??? I am trying to guage if it is going to hit my sump on my front diff!!!!
Me thinkies I will have to try and move it verticle so it is coming out on the side a bit. From your opinion do you think this is possible???

Cheers

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see the top, right bolt hole in the photo a few posts back (not the big hole)? Mine comes out just behind that, with just enough room for the bolt to be fitted. You can basically fit it anywhere on that side, as long as it clears the pinion.
Regards,
nivapulledout
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool cheers hoodoo, did it come with instructions on how to fit it all in or do you just need to work it out?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they should come with instructions, but mine didn't! Basically, I followed the photos on Michael's and Baxter's sites. No problems really.
Regards,
jessie4
Banned!

Odometer: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a free-loading spammer with no girlfriend
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Lada All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: