Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

jimny gearbox removal!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
petetong
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2592

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: jimny gearbox removal! Reply with quote

having to drop the box out of the jimny.. (having problems with the selctor?? 3rd and 5th playing up???)
its all ready to come out.. but! it won't drop down past the rear gearbox mount (the chassie one)??? Confused now the box has been out before(finger tight nuts were a give away to start with Rolling Eyes ) as you can see were some one has had the same prolem as im haveing.. but thay have cut the rear mount in haft, then welded it back on!!!
i could do the same if i have to.. but i can't see that suzuki would have made it in such that the only way to change a box(or clutch for that!) would be engine and box out!!!! Shocked Crying or Very sad
so any one got any thoughts??

p.s. did think that if the engine would tilt ack just a tad more, the box might just clear the rear mount..but the crank sensor houseing hits the bulkhead before theres enough room Evil or Very Mad so is it housing of for enough clearnce??
scut44

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but never dropped a manuals gearbox.
Always had an auto out with the engine out.

Maybe some help to see whats there,
here is how it looks from above.
Surely someone here will know whats required.
all the best.
george
mnl
Articulating

Odometer: 826

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guide on Bigjimny.com, for clutch changing.

Basically, you remove the remote selector and bracket, that shortens the gearbox enough to come out. The transfer box has to come out too.

(I've not tried, when its clutch time I think the engine comes out)

Edit: I've read it now, and the clutch has to come off as well Shocked
mlines
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1467

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some kind of joke the Suzuki Workshop manual warns you that the gearbox can drop on you when you have undone the bolts.

When I did mine (see guide on BigJimny) I could lie underneath the car with both arms wrapped around the gearbox and hang my weight from it and it would not come out!!

You basically have to undo everything, including removing the clutch plate through the gap, then the gearbox will drop. I also ratcheted the engine as far forward as it could go using a ratchet strap.

Martin

petetong
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i took the easy option(ish!!) and cut the mount off again..
so it pressure plate of to is it!! Rolling Eyes yeap can see that that might give JUST!enough room..not as easy as an sj box to drip then!
interestingly the problem turned out to be pinch bolt that holds the selctor rod in the selector houseing,had come loss and dropped down in side the housing! Rolling Eyes and then was in there moving around.. so would jam up from time to time.. and that is way some times you would get no 3rd.. or no 5th!! etc.....
some thing for other to thing about if thay have simler happening Wink
wee-arthur
Gate Opener

Odometer: 26

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did it twice on our Jimny, Took us about two and a half hours in all. Simple really big meccano.

Just pull the gear selector bracet off from the back and the gear linkages, all engine bolts and then there is one mounting point to undo. The reason we removed the rear bracket is so that you can slide the whole gearbox and transferbox back onto the crossmember.

This gives you enough room to remove the clutch and replace between the gearbox and the engine.

Note: there was two of us and i held the box while he put the clutch on... The gearbox is tricky to get a hold of but tbh if youve worked on a land rover its a box of matches to lift and shift back. We had a ramp the second time around but lying on our backs the first time while trying to see how to do it we did it in about 3 hours 30 Smile

Good times
vitara_mad
Articulating

Odometer: 888

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just done a clutch on a jimny for the first time it was quite simple realy did not have to take the trans box off either but we did not drop the box onto the floor just sided it back & rested it on the cross member as it would not drop out unless the selector & mount is unbolted first & did not see the point of unbolting it just to change the clutch
petetong
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wee-arthur wrote:
We did it twice on our Jimny, Took us about two and a half hours in all. Simple really big meccano.

Just pull the gear selector bracet off from the back and the gear linkages, all engine bolts and then there is one mounting point to undo. The reason we removed the rear bracket is so that you can slide the whole gearbox and transferbox back onto the crossmember.

This gives you enough room to remove the clutch and replace between the gearbox and the engine.

Note: there was two of us and i held the box while he put the clutch on... The gearbox is tricky to get a hold of but tbh if youve worked on a land rover its a box of matches to lift and shift back. We had a ramp the second time around but lying on our backs the first time while trying to see how to do it we did it in about 3 hours 30 Smile

Good times

think you have missed the point..??
as you say. to change a clutch would be easy enough.. but to drop the box out... is'nt!! which is what i had to do..
need to change the box.. and to drop the box out is'nt as easy on the jimny as it is on the sj(or vit for that!) but worked it all out now..
you have to remove the clutch pressure plate from the fly wheel.. the the box.. JUST drops down enough to be removed! Rolling Eyes Wink
oh and just to add. i did all this on my own on my garage floor at home! Cool
mnl
Articulating

Odometer: 826

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petetong wrote:

interestingly the problem turned out to be pinch bolt that holds the selctor rod in the selector houseing,had come loss and dropped down in side the housing! Rolling Eyes and then was in there moving around.. so would jam up from time to time.. and that is way some times you would get no 3rd.. or no 5th!! etc.....
some thing for other to thing about if thay have simler happening Wink

Is this what the recall was about?

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/search...ext=Blank&tx=

The bolt securing the gear selector yoke to the gear selector shaft may loosen and fall out. This will allow the gear selector yoke to become detached from the selector shaft. In this event, it will not be possible to select gear.

Fit a higher tensile bolt to the gear selector yoke and tighten it to a higher torque specification.

JSAFJB33V00100001 to JSAFJB33V00132823
VSEFJB33C00100001 to VSEFJB33C00102923

(There is a new recall out on the plastic power steering pump tensioner pulley as well.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: