Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

how heavy are g wagon axles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baloo
Articulating

Odometer: 942

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: how heavy are g wagon axles Reply with quote

does anyone have any figues for the wieght of the front and rear axles of a swb g wagon,

thanks Andy
dirtydiesel
Just got MTs

Odometer: 147

1984 Mercedes-Benz G Class

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rear is about 70kg, front is around the 130kg mark
dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2185

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that dry or with the half shafts, diff, calipers...

70kg seems very light.
normalbloke
Articulating

Odometer: 633

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you mean bare as opposed to dry??
dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normalbloke wrote:
Surely you mean bare as opposed to dry??

Probably.
dirtydiesel
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxmedia wrote:

70kg seems very light.

rears don't have discs einstien!

Very light compared to what?
normalbloke
Articulating

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtydiesel wrote:
dxmedia wrote:

70kg seems very light.

It's all relative.Talking of which you might want to look up the theory of relativity,somewhere within you might find the correct spelling of Albert's surname!

HTH
dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtydiesel wrote:
dxmedia wrote:

70kg seems very light.

Depends on which year Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I'm pretty sure that the AMG doesn't have drum brakes hey Einstein.

You've a hydraulic locker in the axle, a pair of halfshafts, the differential carrier / ring and pinion, plus what ever brake setup plus either disks or (heavier !) drums. Oh and the axle itself.

Id be exceptionally surprised if that weighted in at less than 120kg's for the rear and add 50 for the front due to the steering components.

And is that a weight winch includes springs, shocks and trailing / radius arms? They could be considered part of the axle too?
dirtydiesel
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxmedia wrote:

Depends on which year Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I'm pretty sure that the AMG doesn't have drum brakes hey Einstein.

All 460's have drums.

dxmedia wrote:

Id be exceptionally surprised if that weighted in at less than 120kg's for the rear and add 50 for the front due to the steering components.

I'd also be exceptianally suprised if i can lift and carry 120kgs easily

My knowledge is empirical, you spent much time with G's in bits?

dxmedia wrote:

And is that a weight winch includes springs, shocks and trailing / radius arms? They could be considered part of the axle too?

The original poster asked for axle weights, he didn't want to know the ashtray capacity either, though maybe you could google it for him?
micky1
Just got MTs

Odometer: 353

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

empirical..........

word of the day!
baloo
Articulating

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
sorry guys l dident want to start a war, l have a couple of rolling chassis and was trying to decide whether its worth using the axles or get something a bit lighter, maybe landcrusier axles but then l need to find out how heavy they are to make a comaprison and even then the difflocks are going to be worth some of the extra wieght so l am none the wiser really Laughing

Andy
piggy
Just got MTs

Odometer: 189

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the posts on this site seem to be very wandering and full of ****.

baloo, the haynes manul would have weights for the axels if not google of weikepedia would, as it seems no one on here knows!

dirtydiesel, you said it man, i to am fed up with roly eyes and random posts that go into detail that's not asked for

normalbloke
Articulating

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piggy wrote:

baloo, the haynes manul would have weights for the axels if not google of weikepedia would, as it seems no one on here knows!

dirtydiesel, you said it man, i to am fed up with roly eyes and random posts that go into detail that's not asked for

It's the internet man, get real, it is serious business....
piggy
Just got MTs

Odometer: 189

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean serious business, you answer a post with more ****, answer with fact not rubbish, i thought this forum was about likeminded people building and maintaining mogs and mercs, not people who want to debate ****, if i wanted to reply posts to that i would look for a forum for mp's and the government
dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piggy wrote:
what do you mean serious business, you answer a post with more ****, answer with fact not rubbish, i thought this forum was about likeminded people building and maintaining mogs and mercs, not people who want to debate ****, if i wanted to reply posts to that i would look for a forum for mp's and the government

Seems you've fallen into your own trap.

So far there's been discussion on axle weights on one side, and abuse from the other.

Strange that really...
normalbloke
Articulating

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piggy wrote:

Whoooooooosh..
jeepmadmike
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4573

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm axles like every thing G they will be heavy i have no idea how heavy, i did have the rear off mine and it was a lump to drag about but not impossible to handle (if your used to heavy lumps of metal) so 70 or so Kg sounds about right

as for this the discussion on drum weight / disc weigh unless its a motor sport spec ally caliper and disc with an ally bell a disc and caliper will be 5 times heavier than a drum, back plate, shoes and slave cylinder.

Now i have gone and bought a D4!

one day i might buy a 86" series one like my dad had when i was a boy.
G Wizz
Just got MTs

Odometer: 356
Location: left a bit, little bit more, just there, you found me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piggy wrote:

you been on D44 lately, thats full of **** banter too!

Is there much difference between weights on the G axle compared to what else your thinking of ?, the advantage straight away is lockers on the G axle, which brings me to my next question, what is your intention with this off roader, is the weight an important factor, does weight out weigh the cost benefits of having the lockers in the axles you have already lying around ?

also im not sure if haynes did a manual for the G, did they ?
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3372

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the weight Baloo unless its for your 'light weight buggy' project. G wagon axels looked nice under a 90 landy we competed against on challenge. They looked more like the axel land rover should have fitted Cool So a bit heavier than rover/yota means diff locks, half shafts designed for diff locks and a good casing! Because we are fast coming to the conclusion that the axels are the most important part to overspec Smile

I am interested to know which project is it intended for ? (being nosey Very Happy )

baloo
Articulating

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Wizz wrote:

Is there much difference between weights on the G axle compared to what else your thinking of ?, the advantage straight away is lockers on the G axle, which brings me to my next question, what is your intention with this off roader, is the weight an important factor, does weight out weigh the cost benefits of having the lockers in the axles you have already lying around ?

also im not sure if haynes did a manual for the G, did they ?

hi G Wizz

thats what l was trying to find out, many things to consider, l wanted to be a as light as possible as l see that as a requirement of a rockcrawler type vehicle, imagine whizzing up a ladder to your house gutter and then try it with a rucksack on your back with 6 paving slabs in it, so much harder lifting wieght and l think this translates into a vehicle l watch Marks crawler that wieghs 600kg just amble up slopes that are much steeper than 45% and then when you try it with a full size truck they just sit there spinning their wheels, all 4 if you have difflocks, when l see people biulding winch bumpers out of 10mm plate with twin batteries, hi lift jacks, spare wheel on the roof etc etc l just think that they are making it much more likely that they will need the winch due to having a winch,
clearly if you were going into remote regions then a winch's wieght is something you would put up with but where we go there is always an excavator around that can pick you up and put you on the trailer,
having watched marks rockcrawler at work both in the early stages with open diffs and now with difflocks there is no doubt in our minds that difflocks are very very high on the list of prioritys probally more so than axle travel as the crawler will do things now that it wouldent with open diffs, nice to have flex and lockers but if you can only have one l think lockers would be the one l would choose but you need to throw lightness in there too other wise you sit there with all the wheels slowly turning going nowhere,
so l have a pair of suzuki sj sammy axles which is what l want to use but no lockers and ARB's are what £1250 ? Shocked but l do have a g wagon rolling chassis that l could nab the axles off that will cost me nothing Very Happy so what sort of wieght penalty will l face is what l was trying to find out, to this end l bought a set of sack scales of ebay and will be hanging the axles up in the garage to see whats what, but l wont be parting with £1250 come what may, works far to slow to have any new toy money Sad
if the g axles turn out to be to heavy although l dont know what to heavy actually is then my plan B or C is to use jimny axles and weld both the diffs up solid and live with the back driving all the time but split the vacume hubs into 2 seperate lines so as l can engage either or both front wheels as desired so as l can have 2, 3 or 4 wheel drive as required that way at least l will have some steering, l have done this before to get round the no difflocks rule, worked ok
will report back when l weighed the axles

Andy
baloo
Articulating

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamidris wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the weight Baloo unless its for your 'light weight buggy' project. G wagon axels looked nice under a 90 landy we competed against on challenge. They looked more like the axel land rover should have fitted Cool So a bit heavier than rover/yota means diff locks, half shafts designed for diff locks and a good casing! Because we are fast coming to the conclusion that the axels are the most important part to overspec Smile

I am interested to know which project is it intended for ? (being nosey Very Happy )

hi teamidris

yes l was thinking about the g axles for my lightwieght crawler l havent ruled them out yet as lockers are so important and if l have to carry some extra unwanted wieght then the axles would be the place to do it,

l have also been playing around with lada tranfer boxes Shocked they are very well made and very tough, l was thinking of useing 2, one as a back axle and one for the front Shocked
ponder it further they have a hi range and a low range but the intresting bit is that they have a diff in them that locks Very Happy so you mount one behind the seat with it turned 90 deg so as what used to be the front and rear propshft out put flanges now face and feed the rear wheels, chain drive into the input flange with a big motor bike engine TL 1000 ? same deal at the front with the chain connecting both diffs/transfer boxes and you end up with 2 speed axles with difflocks for around 50 quid plus 6 speeds on the bike engine, more of a racer than a crawler really due to the 130 hp bike engine,
to get round the lack reverse the low range in the lada transfer boxes will convert to reverse with out to much engineering giving you 6 reverse gears should you feel the need to do 100mph backwards Laughing

but in all probability l will use just one of the lada boxes in a 2wd buggy and use conventional axles in my crawler, g wagon or other Question
G Wizz
Just got MTs

Odometer: 356
Location: left a bit, little bit more, just there, you found me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its a lightweight rock crawler then, the lighter the car the less stress you will get on the axle, so lockers in a suzi might be fine, but if there is to be any weight it needs to be low down, and that starts at the axle !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Mercedes & Unimog All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: