Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Sankey Trek Trailer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Gear, Equipment and Vehicle Preparation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimny_gary
Articulating

Odometer: 588

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Trailer, I have the same roof tent, I fancy a trailer but it'd have to be lightweight as i drive a jimny off road ! I have a little brenderup trailer with 10" wheels, might swap the axle for an old SJ one with matched 16" wheels and go from there.

Paul, i did wonder what on earth you were going to do with a HiCap body and truckman top lol.

Gary

Rob Storr Panhards, rear disc kit, wheel spacers.
3" lift kit, 16" GV wheels and 750.16 Diamonds.
paul_humphreys
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1272

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimny_gary wrote:

Paul, i did wonder what on earth you were going to do with a HiCap body and truckman top lol.

Gary

Well think offroad caravan!! I can not be doing with roof tents, I just want something I can stop and go to sleep in. I can leave it on a site ot just tow it up the lanes!! It will be about the same width as the 80 series and just a little longer than a standard Sankey. Just might have to put a Hilux axle on it so I can use LC wheels all around.

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org

http://www.4x4responsewales.org/
jimny_gary
Articulating

Odometer: 588

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Idea, i have a full size caravan i tow with my Disco, but the Disco's useless on the lanes i get on, so i need something that i can get away in on the rough stuff with, hence my roof tent, not used it yet though, going to look daft on top of the jimny ! Still thinking about lightweight trailer too.

Gary

Rob Storr Panhards, rear disc kit, wheel spacers.
3" lift kit, 16" GV wheels and 750.16 Diamonds.
paul_humphreys
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1272

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roof tents are ok, but in the uk they make the 4x4 too tall and top heavy.

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org

http://www.4x4responsewales.org/
jonkem
Just got MTs

Odometer: 389

1989 Isuzu Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_humphreys wrote:

Some good ideas in this thread aswell. Anyway how do the hub adaptors fit on? Also did the place save the drawings of them to be able to make more Wink ?

Paul

Sorry for not replying sooner, hardly been able to stop and breathe as work has been so busy!

Anyway, I think there is a pic or 2 early on in the thread showing the hubs. They are bolted onto the the Sankey hubs / drums before fitting the drums onto the axle, a lot easier than it sounds.

Not sure about the drawings but no big deal to go and ask them if you needed a solution.

Jon
Westy
Gate Opener

Odometer: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have been watching this thread with a lot of interest andwas wondering if there are any further updates - pictures - is it complete ?

Cheers
Westy
jonkem
Just got MTs

1989 Isuzu Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Westy,

yes it's been complete for quite a while but hardly been out due to work commitments etc.

I'm gonna search for any new pics that are interesting. I've got a couple of it offroad but it's difficult to take pics when you're driving the thing Very Happy

The last pieces that were fitted were 2 x double jerry can holders that I made, couldn't face paying the prices firms charge for such things Shocked

Anyway, next post will be pics and as it's going off to Wales next week I'll try to take some more of it in action.

Jon
jonkem
Just got MTs

1989 Isuzu Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Some Pics Reply with quote

All on Salisbury Plain. I did take it through some deeper water but no pic!

I kept trying to tip the trailer over but it wasn't having any of it. It follows perfectly even in deep ruts etc.

I did a lot of fast driving on gravel roads and it doesn't make any difference to the driving style needed other than you get 3 bumps going over holes instead of 2.

jonkem
Just got MTs

1989 Isuzu Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: More pics Reply with quote

The only pic with the tent deployed. This is during the packing up, it rained solid for 2 days & nights and the 3rd day was dry which meant the tent went away virtually dry.
The tent is well worth the money, plenty of room, no build quality issues yet and no more condensation than any other synthetic tent I've been in.
A big plus for it being on a trailer is that the 1st dry day you have when you get back home, you can pop it up and air it!

I'm probably going to turn the tent so it opens over the back of the trailer so I can add another awning on the side of the trailer. All 5 people who were away with me on this trip congregated around my trailer & under my awning, mostly because of the bad weather but I'm sure it'd be the same in extreme sun as well, so I need more capacity.
If your going "glamping" you need as much space to spread all the posh gear around Laughing Laughing
excossack
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2903

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its giving me ideas.....Plenty of them, Smile

Whats the yellow thing on the winch, a swivel?

jonkem
Just got MTs

1989 Isuzu Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excossack wrote:

Whats the yellow thing on the winch, a swivel?

It's a chain connector, either a Crosby or Kuplex I can't remember which! Makes for easy hook removal.
cornish redneck
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3904

1997 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonkem you are a total inspiration to us all, to see the whole build from start to finish has been very interesting, glad the first outing went ok, certainly looks the part too mate. its given me loads of ideas but unfortunately lack of funds puts it in the pipe dream section but i did have a go at photoshoping a couple pictures Rolling Eyes

maybe one day.
hope all the camping goes well bud and do keep us updated on any bits you decide to change.

Member of the DCJC
jonkem
Just got MTs

1989 Isuzu Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Redneck and I'm glad it's been an entertaining journey for everyone who's followed it. I can't even remember any negative comments on the thread, I must be slipping if I haven't upset anyone Laughing Laughing

As for funds, which is also a sore point with me at the moment, keep checking ebay and pick up bits along the way when they come up cheap.

The 2 big expenses are the trailer & the tent. The tent can be used on the roof of your car so buy it if it comes up cheap, you can still use it without having the trailer built.

Sankeys get cheap when new ones are released by the MOD so keep checking and pick the right moment. You can get them very cheap with knackered bodies which suits us just fine. Cut the body up and sell the metal to a scrap metal dealer.

Most scrap metal merchants keep good off-cuts to sell so you can buy a bit at a time at knock down prices & also watch metal prices they go up and down all the time.

Nobody needs all the glamourous bits I've put on mine, they're just nice to have but non essentials and don't let the fancy bits stop you building it!

I'd like to see some more builds on here, I know there are some happening with Difflockers and I'd be happy to steal some ideas for my next build Wink
cornish redneck
Mud Obsessed

1997 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is the thing, if everyone were to post up their ideas or builds we would have all manner of trailers and a very good database of home built trailers for everyone to take an idea from and modify it to fit theirs.
as for negative comments, this thread certainly doesnt warrant them atall, its been interesting and educational for all, well done bud. Applause

Member of the DCJC
joyofduck
Gate Opener

Odometer: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to wait until the project was finished, but money as they say is too tight to mention and this thread will likely perish before the dream is fully realised.

So thanks to Jonkem for all the inspiration.

This is Brad the Sankey conversion (being towed by Lara the Landrover).

The main body was built and fitted by MyWay (http://www.mywayrooftents.co.uk/voyager_trailer.html).
The panniers are by N&J Linings (http://www.njaluminiumlinings.co.uk/).
Both companies were good to do business with.

Loads of work to go...

cornish redneck
Mud Obsessed

1997 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly, joyofduck welcome to difflock.
secondly, that is a cool piece of kit there, certainly looks like it will do the job really well.
keep us updated on your progress mate Wink

Member of the DCJC
everhopeful
Gate Opener

Odometer: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Getting there! Reply with quote

Well Jonkem, I finally got round to having a go at building it!

It has been a bit of a mission, as I knew what I wanted, but could not afford it.

I took a few ideas from trailers I had seen, like you. So, here goes!

I decided to use Fibreglass coated ply, as used by truck bodybuilders. The floor is 18mm Phenol board, to give a strong floor.
I laid down the base of the trailer body, then cut alu section to make the mountings.
The chassis only had six fixing points, so I used Rivnuts to make it up to a total of 10 bolts holding it down -hopefully enough Smile

I then built the 'skeleton' of the inside framework.
Installed the gas tanks and water tank.
I made a framework to hold 4 Wolf boxes out of angle and flat strips of steel , & then mounted that on top of the water tank.
I had to make a framework to hold the fridge-slide, because the corner mouldings and line of the mudguard, made it neccessary to raise the mount up to be able to open the door & slide the fridge out.
There are five compartments:
First for Fridge on slide out shelf
Second for fold down kitchen with burners & sink
Third hold the porta potti that can be taken off into the woods, or into a toilet tent
Fourth gives access to the 4 Wolf boxes & water tank filler
Fifth is the power station with 12v battery, inverter to mains, water pump, fuse board et.

The mudguards are now on, but I need to finish it with Running Boards to link the chassis outriggers to the mudguards.
Always something to do!

The starting point Very Happy

The base board laid in place with the fridge slide bracket mounts in place

The fridge slide mount and water tank in place

Handmade Wolf box frame mounted above water tank.

internal bulkheads with fridge slide mount in place.

LPG Gas tanks being fitted

Some detail of the gas fittings. One outlet for door mounted burners & 2 push fit connectors for exterior BBQ's or heaters.

Box body now being fitted. The panels were fitted and the apertures cut out in-situ. Note red-oxide paint on all the external cuts, to seal wood against water ingress.

Right side showing apertures for Wolf boxes and Electrics compartments.

Door details showing mini container locks to hold it all shut.

It has moved on from this a bit.
I now have running water, the kitchen fitted, gas burners working, and 12v electrics powering circuits.
The aim is to mount a tent on the top which will open out over the kitchen area, giving a standing room to cook etc.
This is yet to arrive, as I am no good with a needle & thread Sad

Really looking forward to going camping with it - it has been fun to build and now needs using.
Updates will be posted when I can Smile
spannerrash
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Sankey trailer re-build Reply with quote

Hi,
Excellent write up of your trailer build. I have just started mine and have almost finished stripping the chassis for blasting and coating / painting. I am having trouble removing the top shackle pins and wondered if you had the same problem? Looks like I will have to destroy them to get them out did you have to buy any spares and if so where from I have tried several places with no luck.
Cheers
Ralph
jonkem
Just got MTs

1989 Isuzu Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember one of the bolts was a nightmare to remove, it might have been the bottom one though.

From memory the bolts were threaded into the shackles as well as having a nut on and where the bolt was siezed in the sleeve it made it impossible to undo from the shackle.

I vaguely recollect burning the bush out and heating the sleeve until it came off. I did manage save the bolts to be able to re-use them but did replace the bushes.

Can't even remember where I got the bushes from now!!
spannerrash
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Sankey trailer spring removal Reply with quote

Sorry I didnt reply sooner - been away working.

Thanks for the info - I got them off in the end by burning out the bushes but i had to cut the boltheads and threads off, then redrill and tap the holes, as the tubes were seized to the bolts and I coudnt free them up. I took the springs to Midland Motor springs who made new poly bushes to fit the springs and shackles. I also, having read your build write up, had 2 leafs removed from each spring.
Chassis should be complete by next week. Just the body to go which will be slow time over the winter hopefully complete by next spring.
Thanks again
Ralph
joyofduck
Gate Opener

Odometer: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Its Spring - So more trailer work Reply with quote

I took advantage of the sun to make a few trailer improvements. Hard to believe that this was once a standard Sankey.

Bottled gas with 8mm copper piping and quick release connectors in a handy protective metal box Smile If anyone else considers the same modification, can I have their spare fog lamp.

Mains power hookup, 12V transformer / battery charger, 12V and 240V sockets.

And finally an up to date picture:

jasong4110
Gate Opener

Odometer: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Your trailer build Reply with quote

A great trailer build it was one of the threads that gave me inspiration to build my own http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=49598 just thought I would log-on and say thank you.

Jason.
4x4rick
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1900

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joyofduck wrote:
I was going to wait until the project was finished, but money as they say is too tight to mention and this thread will likely perish before the dream is fully realised.

So thanks to Jonkem for all the inspiration.

This is Brad the Sankey conversion (being towed by Lara the Landrover).
Loads of work to go...

off topic but
i spy OZTENT what do u think of them?any pitfalls you have found??
i recently bought an RV4 and would welcome any pointers

R Cool

DCJC member
JemAndes
Just got MTs

Odometer: 446

1998 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... you guys trailers are quite cool! Since this is my first time seeing this post, it made me think of another trailer I had seen before from an Australian company. Now, I know you guys have basically finished your trailer, but I thought you might like this link anyway.

This trailer is almost too futuristic looking, but I still like it.
http://squob.com/campers/track-tvan-outback-overkill/
Nightbar
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 20799

1999 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are very nice indeed and puts mine into the shade...

...mind you I've still got to finish the electrics and fit a roof tent on the trailer - then I'll be set (its only been 5 years!) Cool

(and I fitted my engel fridge/freezer between the front seats in the 90 so we could have a cold one (water of course) whilst in the move)

Plant a tree for the Difflock 3
BarneyT
Gate Opener

Odometer: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great build Jonkem. It looks like a few stumbles in the beginning with the wheels and such, but it turned out looking great. How much do you think you saved doing it yourself as opposed to buying a finished trailer?
jonkem
Just got MTs

1989 Isuzu Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarneyT wrote:
That is a great build Jonkem. It looks like a few stumbles in the beginning with the wheels and such, but it turned out looking great. How much do you think you saved doing it yourself as opposed to buying a finished trailer?

Hi Barney

excluding the fridge and tent probably saved about 2K on buying an equivalent complete trailer. Mostly because I beg, borrow and steal as much as possible!

Getting someone to make a leafsprung axle with jap 6 stud hubs would be impossible or incredibly expensive.

I might be selling the trailer and cruiser shortly so any interested peeps are welcome to get in touch and tell me what it's all worth!!

Jon
kalmac
Gate Opener

Odometer: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of copied you....
we have all seen the mini's towing a mini.. well after trailering a dead mini to a friends for him to.. cut up (it's still on his drive) i thought.. i could do that... Rolling Eyes
so i bought a dead lwb to match mine

then...
no going back

result

not happy with the box at front but... I can fix that with the angle grinder
does the job

with matching alloys it looks gr8. I left the tow bar on the back the socket is all wired up and yes I can hook up another trailer when of road Wink
but on a failed hill climb.. its handy to attach a second truck to it to... guide the trailer down Embarassed
jobs to do after front.. fit either a jib arm or a roll bar over back door to make winching large logs into it easier...
I'm also thinking of changing the cup of the ball and cup hitch to a ring??? not sure yet

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 40007

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

proper job!
Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - yes that's right, I have a Zook!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Gear, Equipment and Vehicle Preparation All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: