Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Team Idris - Range Rover Based Trialer
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3372

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Team Idris - Range Rover Based Trialer Reply with quote

July 2017 note; the photos on here come from photobucket and I think that they are about to pull the link magic stuff, so this thread might suddenly look a bit bare

I thought it would be fun to post my off roaders build.
The Range Rover Classic donor vehicle was in a bit of a sorry state, but still cost my dad £600 Shocked There wasn't much about any cheaper. It had been rolled through a hedge. The only flat panel was the little one in front of the windscreen Shocked

That body was heavy, so it went like a rocket without it. The aim was to make it look like the series Landy. Probably something like a Bowler? The chassis was absolutely stuffed Confused One big job was to get it in the garage and shortened.

Page 1
"In the begining", Daft hand brake lincage, Front Hydraulic winch and pump, Captive engine mounts with radius arm bushes, Under-ski, New 12k Goldfish, First Back End Rebuild, Auto box leadingh to Rear KAM Diff.
Page 2;
Idle knob in cab, TOR Silvadale Shoot, Zeus Brake Pistons, Cars-in-the-park, New seat, New floor where you can see the side hook.
Page 3;
New power steering pump install, GL 90 steering damper on a rangy, Link to deep mud vid.
Page 4;
New power steering pump install-Second Attempt, Ground anchor drawings, Second back end rebuild including new winch mount, top rope hoop, and cage braces, Sexy fuel tank, Twin kill switch frame.
Page 5;
2011 4x4 show, Front KAM diff with Ashcroft shafts, No oil pressure at Bridgenorth, start of dry sump work.
Page 6;
Engine re-fit with ARP studs, piper cam, duplex chain, vernier sprockets, dry sump raft completed.
Page 7;
General breather work and tidying, dry sump tank, transfer box change.
Page 8;
Crazy pipe work picture, milner fiddle brake fix/up-pressure, awsome air filter set, 2012 4x4 show.
Page 9;
More Steve Knight challenge modifications including hydraulic hose mud flaps and the 4x4 show 2012 at Stafford.
Page 10;
Second hydraulic winch fitment and the start of pedal operated fiddle brakes.
Page 11;
Dozer Blade.
Page 12;
Rolled at LRS5, Bridgenorth, September 2014.

Last edited by teamidris on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:34 am; edited 10 times in total
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is its first time back in daylight! We shortened the chassis and welded on the roll cage in the right place as best we could, using the sries one landy as a pattern. Then removed the engine-gearbox-axels, and rotated the whole structure to make the welds easier. That worked well, but we nearly flattened me dad Confused
Then we stuffed all the mechanical bits back in. It drove around as a range rover okay, so I cannot see a problem. But I di have to fix the 4x4 bit, as the fork is off the dog? Not sure whats going on there.
There are very few pictures of this part of the build. I wish there were more, showing how rotten the chassis was. The 'fish tail' plates (to join the 14" removed from the middle) extend to the rear cross member Shocked

Main reason for the lack of photo's is that the digital camera hasn't been invented yet, or at least if was available, it would have cost more than I could afford Confused So this is more of a historic introduction to my truck, showing how it got to where it is now. I think I will add pictures sporadically to give it recent thread look Very Happy

I'm getting stick off the wife this end because I look so young in the photo! Not a grey hair to be seen Wink

Tune in next time for the rear rad and body work Very Happy

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've given up Plant Fitting and taken up Agri Fitting (its the mid ninetys) things move on apace! It was those Saturday nights as a 'back up fitter' on the railways that was really slowing the build. It must have been a better job, I look a lot happier Very Happy
Below its driving around. The rear rad went in from the start, and look at them SAT's, the 'must have tyre' of the day Cool

And pretty soon it was all painted and ready to. And we towed it 90 mile for a trial, and it broke down Sad There was way too much gum in the engine after it sat around being made into a trialer for three years. But we fixed it and had many years of fun out of it Very Happy

Thats the wife giving that V8 plenty of boot Shocked We did a couple of comp safaris with it as well, where we found it only did three miles to the gallon.
It gives good service until I decide to get a degree in 2000. Funds mean I have to store it here and there until I finish. The beast takes a dislike to this and deteriates. Then the challenge truck rises from the ashes Cool

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend Geoff says he's been to a Midland Offroad Club and seen the event that will suit me just right! "Called a challenge event, you have to winch yourself around to different punches and drive where you can". I'm sold on that Very Happy I come accross an X6 winch in the scrap yard for £10. I know the motor is stuffed, so I order a new one and get going on the mid mount position. The sticky up bits of red metal are the mount.

The hand brake has always been a weak link from day one, so I spend some time engineering a new linkage. It also gets shoes, spreader lincage and shaft seal. There is plenty of other work to do as well. The V8 was replaced with one that had done 20,000 miles a few years back, so thats okay. But the exhaust expansion box is stuffed Sad I also fit 2" mesh over the roll cage.

Last edited by teamidris on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finish university in 2005 and have a fair old student loan to pay back. But I know that to do challenge I need a decent front winch Confused And Rosie Wife says buying the right piece of kit first time around saves money! So Terry brings his gas axe round to cut the front out, and I work on a hydraulic pump platform to fit the dog clutch and type R milemarker. We have a long debate and decide to trap a plate between sump and block for the full length. Then fit two sump gaskets.

Once the plywood has been replaced with 6mm steel plate I start on the winch platform. The fear is that the winch being higher will snap the end of the chassis off, so we fit a structural bull bar with bracing back to the bulkhead outriggers.

Until finally, by August 2007, there is enough of it together to run it at Buildwas near Ironbridge. It breaks down here as well, requiring a rush around Shrewsbury for spark plugs. But it does manage the trial the next day Very Happy

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next mod after its first event is the engine mounts. The whole engine is sinking under the extra weight. A bit of home spun engineering with radious arm bushes as captive mounts sorts it out Very Happy

Then its decided a pair of re-con carbs will sort the running problem. The post office looses the carbs for a two months, and then there is a months lead time, so this takes some time to sort out. After the next challenge event we realise the fuel is boiling in the carbs due to lack of moving about. It was never a problem even on comp safari Shocked We fit a fan in the bonnet blowing air directly over them which sorts the job Cool

Idea To help with hauling the truck over things like walls and trees we opt for a central ski. This works great and stops that all worrying about what might be getting jammed up underneath. There isnt much under a rangy that will stall the type R without a lot of cost! ABout the same time a second battery and split charge is fitted. Its a busy 2008 season for repairs Very Happy

After a few events we kill the X6. The steel rope is scrap as well. I think it worked out about £5 a pull? So not very good value for money Sad The vehicle is heavy causing us 'um and ar' over the 9.5 goldfish, but we go for a 12,00lb goldfish with 6hp motor. Not quick, but it does the job! With the dyneema bow rope the self reeve of the rear winch is even better. We re-work the rear rollers at the same time. Shortly after it gets Lodar

Milner fiddle brakes went in at some point?

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its 2009 and we now have two awsome winches Very Happy Terry Winchman has decent radio control of the rear winch and I have some bicycle gear change levers to change gear on the Type R. (Thanks HOFS). We also have two 185 by 75% by 16" tyres on the back to go with our ZF4 automatic gearbox. The 4x4 show at Donnington leads me to buy two QT diff gaurds and an Xeng disk handbrake. (Cause that fancy lincage wasn't any good either)

We are feeling good and set for Buildwas.

Where we run well all day until I slide down a bank and Kill 'punch one tree' and the back end Sad . And blow the rear diff Crying or Very sad

The back body gets re-made as a tray back in 40 x 40mm box. Then the body and wheel arches are rivited back on. Which should be easy, but the exhaust now doesn't fit. So that gets a re-work with a nice Team Idris CNC stamped cover.
While this work is being done, Money gets spent on a KAM diff and half shafts.

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now its in bits for the winter again Confused

Work to do;

Strip & greece front winch
Fit new alternator higher voltage regulator.
Look at leaky steering pump.
Fit new rear pads
Change cut off switch
Right hand radious arm bushes change
Fit sort of rock slidy front bumper thing?
General service?

I hope you enjoyed viewing the build Very Happy Feel free to coment now we're up to date Wink

facomkid
Articulating

Odometer: 739

1991 Range Rover 3 Door Classic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the looks of the build its very strong and because of this strength i presume its heavy "no offence" i was woundering does the standard rover v8 cope well with all this weight
clbarclay
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1779

1987 Land Rover Range Rover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it about Buildwas Rolling Eyes

A friend last year had a similar track record, one time his engine died needing a full rebuild (actually it had need the rebuild since before he bough it) and another time he temporarily lost his steering and brakes due to the mud resulting in an uncomfortable decent after a failed hill climb.

Maybe it is just a curse of hydraulic winches Laughing

What is the rear fairlead from and how do you get on with the front winch that high above the chassis?

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always seemed quite a light trialer, and now seems a bit SPAM. So if I said 1400kg before and easily 1800kg to 2000kg now? The V8 never works hard unless its in too higher gear or at road speeds off road. We usually run in seconnd on the auto, and theres loads of power.

Buildwas is rough Very Happy
Rear fairlead is home made. We used 80mm ally bar and machined it to bobbins. Up the middle of them is 20mm steel bar and 42 x 20mm roller bearings. Two short horizontal rollers sit just behind them. The funny horns keep the rope on the rollers when the corner rope guids are being used to pull forward. The virtical stantion roller gets us nicely up to the roll cage snatch block.
High winch can pull our nose down as supected. I thought about a roller down low to run the rope through, but couldn't see a good way of pulling it off. I'ts a bad compromise to keep a short front.

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie_grieve
Articulating

Odometer: 876

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome build there and a great bit of history. SAT's were cool!
Can you give a bit more detail on the clutch setup on your pump please or does it run all the time? Are you using the original size/spec winch motor or 'hot rodded' it up a bit? I've been looking at motors recently and found that a typical 100cc motor is only capable of about 12hp which is about the same as any of the twin motor setups. Didn't seem much for an engine driven setup compared to the advantages an electric winch might offer when the vehicle ends up in the silly places and angles expected of challenge trucks now. Engine starved of oil for example or pickup pipe for hydraulic tank in fresh air at funny angles. Your thoughts please.
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Awesome build there and a great bit of history. SAT's were cool!
Can you give a bit more detail on the clutch setup on your pump please or does it run all the time?"

Thanks Very Happy You spend so much time fighting these machines to make them work, that you have to stand back to realise that they are impressive, and not just some really annoying piece of technology that sucks up money Shocked
The dog clutch has its own oil and came from http://www.4x4winches.com/index.php?page=index_content.htm with a pump. I have an engineering drawing on my web site to make the crank boss for the V8. Then a rubber coupler is needed and a flange to fit the dog box. I like it direct, as it can run in mud under water. I wouldn't fancy a toothed belt. Maybe it doesn't do much other than save a bit pump wear, but should the oil escape the pump can be switched off Cool

"Are you using the original size/spec winch motor or 'hot rodded' it up a bit? I've been looking at motors recently and found that a typical 100cc motor is only capable of about 12hp which is about the same as any of the twin motor setups."

I havn't the figures, but I know its not a standard milemarker motor. It looks vane rather than gear, so efficiency will be up about 85% I guess over 75% for typical gear motor/pump ?
The trouble with horse power and kW is that they are an input of torque and speed. And electric motors compaired to hydraulic work differently. So the twin motor still suffers from only getting full torque at low speed and max rated amps. At which point your well over the alternator output. And full line speed is only at low weights.
Because hydraulic oil is incompressible, its more like having a mechanical winch. Drum speed is pretty much fixed to engine speed until the relief valve lifts. Plus its variable drum speed with engine speed. And the mechanical lever valve lets you inch the rope and stop instantly. But most important of all, is that stalling the winch only heats the oil a bit. Other advantages include a high speed gear and a pressure gauge to indicate line pull. So on the whole I have to say hydraulic is way better than electric if you have the facilities to build the crank driven pump mounts Very Happy

"Didn't seem much for an engine driven setup compared to the advantages an electric winch might offer when the vehicle ends up in the silly places and angles expected of challenge trucks now. Engine starved of oil for example or pickup pipe for hydraulic tank in fresh air at funny angles. Your thoughts please. "

If you make the tank deep and narrow, then hydraulic oil starvation won't be a problem. The passenger side footwell is a good place for a deep tank.
The engine angle could be a problem. I like the rover V8 as it doesn't need a lot of oil pressure. I think the diesel boys will have to go to dry sump soon Very Happy Maybe we will have to go dry sump and injection in time? But such steep angles mean safety is an issue for the sport in general, as the vehicle then relies on the rope to hold it up. If it snaps the vehicle is an out of control falling/sliding object Confused
Even with the pulling power of the TypeR we often need 'winch & drive', so I think loosing the engine is really bad for the hydraulic, but bad for the electric as well. And having the rear electric we imagined that we could get back to a position of safety on battery power alone.
Have you seen that challenge truck with two-stroke winch power? Can't remember the you-tube link, it was noisy, but it solved all the problems in one go Cool

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear prop was bottoming out at the gearbox UJ on full travel. Its a standard landy series shaft. I took Terry's air grinder to it. Would have put it back it back on tonight, but have cut back the wrong end Embarassed It will have plenty of angle if I ever increase the travel Smile

A noisy job for tomorrow then Laughing

Orangev8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

facomkid wrote:
by the looks of the build its very strong and because of this strength i presume its heavy "no offence" i was woundering does the standard rover v8 cope well with all this weight

Considering the standard rover V8 was designed to get a 2.5t range rover to 100mph cruising speed and stay there all day.............pretty well i should think. My trialer has a 3.9efi in and weighs 1200kg and it was way too much power with diffs and shafts breaking like butter until I fitted Kam.

Now that's another story...... Rolling Eyes
Orangev8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! and great story Steve. Looks like you've had fun over the years.

Nick
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly had some fun.
I think my dad selling his 80" landy trialer was a mistake. Not because it would now be worth some cash Very Happy but because these vehicles are great fun, and unlike the road cars, you sheet em' up, leave em', and renovate when your next into some fun. Mine was out of work for about 5 years, from 2000c, while I was at uni Exclamation You'ld never get your money back, so just hide it somwhere Very Happy

But I digress from my reason for posting. The KAM cover has a filler plug, but no level. Having too much oil in there doesn't help the action, So I've drilled one Smile I put a 10mm threaded hole in the cover, below the centre line, just to the right of the fork, in the small flat triangular bit of ally cover. I used M10 as I didnt have a 1/4 BSP (1/4 NPT really) tap Confused
Now I can check the level, and I can just see the end of the fork through the hole. If owt goes wrong, I will be able to see whats going on and maybe give it a poke Very Happy

Also; The QT diff gaurd fits okay over the KAM cover, with minor hammering and a bit of an extention to the top QT top bracket. Next job is how to stop mud ramming in there. I am heading toward cling film over the diff, fit QT, fill gap with spray foam Very Happy

Enough scribbling Wink Time to get down that garage, tighten the top ball, fit brake pads to left back, abuse prop shaft with air grinder, and put wheels back on. Only 1 and 1/2 months till next event, and thats not long at my pace Shocked

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAha Exclamation Lets see you jam full of mud now mr QT gaurd Very Happy

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 100ft of rope too long, even with the bigger drum of TypeR Question

Test; buy 75ft Dyneema Bow rope

Hoped result Confused Rope is less likely to bind on drum, pull force goes up due to smaller reeve diameter.

Risk; 75ft not long enough to do some challenge sections.

Hopefull cure; Rope of Loops Shocked Lets 75ft rope do 150ft Cool

There's a loop every 8ft

Last edited by teamidris on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Go **** a blender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamidris wrote:
HAha Exclamation Lets see you jam full of mud now mr QT gaurd Very Happy

steve....

why do you gave a diff guard protecting a HD diffpan?
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really saw the need for diff pan gaurds in all the years this truck has run. The front has a strip of metal welded up the front, as it got badly dented once, but a dent normally doesn't leak oil, so I never bothered much. But the QT diff gaurds are exactly what I imagined a 'diff slider' would look like. Something that would allow the bottom of the diff to ride up rather than dig in when the wheels were off the ground. And I think they do that quite well Very Happy
So not a gaurd, but a winching aid Cool

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, new bearings required in TypeR. I wonder if its bolted down wonkey? Looks okay, but is splitting both 'top hat' bearings Confused Also munched motor side 'O' ring.

First Four is new agent, and old agent at http://www.4x4winches.com/index.php?page=index_content.htm and it lists 'First Four' as E mail address. Whats kicking off there then? One bought the other out?

Still a Kick ass winch. Easy to strip http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25692 Might put a greece nipple in it?

ashzuki
Just got MTs

Odometer: 205

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamidris,
i have a question for you i see on the first four website is states that the type-r winch runs a pto pump but you are running yours off the crank, so what pump are you running?

also what is the main difference between the standard milemarker and the tyre-r as i am thinking of getting the standard setup for my jimny and if i get into winch challenges i may need to go up to the type-r, or do you think the standard would be fast enough on the light weight jimny

thanks ash
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.4x4winches.com/
First Four Off Road
sales@firstfouroffroad.co.uk

Is where the Parker gear pump and 'dog clutch' came from when it was the previous bloke. The dog has four threaded bolt holes in the bottom for easy fitting. The mechanical drive is a lot more tricky Confused But we wanted a JCB type drive that would run in bad conditions. Post on here if you want the specific Parker numbers off its plate.

The type R is supposed to be faster and definately has a bigger motor and drum. So 100ft of 12mm bowrope fits on okay. But is it faster because of the motor or the dedicated pump? Why a 'high pressure' motor? We don't know Confused

"standard would be fast enough on the light weight jimny"
Yeh, I cannot see why not. Electric will probably be quicker with a low line pull, but on full pull, with a bit of rev, the milemarker hydraulic will going very nicely Cool But a standard milemarker might run just as quick with our pump? So worth giving them a ring and see what they think Very Happy Also worth talking to Goodwinch about their's. I havn't seen a price yet, so could be better or worse?

I think buy a deep drum fast hydraulic because; A deep drum will hold plenty of rope when its reeved badly while rushing on a winch challenge section. And because it gives you some 'future proofing' against mods you might make tomorrow. The Jimmy is your current light truck! Plus the bigger winch lets you team up with a bigger vehicle like a 90 or Wrangler Very Happy

Rich.
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1165

1998 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamidris wrote:
I havn't seen a price yet, so could be better or worse?

I spoke to David the other day and he recons £699, i belive thats without a pump or valve system though.

Rich
ashzuki
Just got MTs

Odometer: 205

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou teamidris i will have to have a good look at whats out thier.

ash
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The typeR had eaten the Oring on the motor side and cracked the plastic bearings. On rebuilding today I found there was a lot of sideways movement in the drum (4mm). So I concluded that was what was causing trouble, and popped a couple of 2mm thick M10 washers behind the top bars. I've never been a fan of these 'flat bodges' compared to proper distance bars, as I couldn't see how they could keep the winch cheeks in place during assembly to the winch mount. Sideways movement is still there, but it is now more like a bit of natural tolerance Wink
Anyone had the same thing?

Even weirder Confused The starter has been doing that clicking thing, where you have to push the button loads times for it to take. Cleaning the terminals didn't help? I had to nick the starter battery for the van last week, where its working well. I bought a second Banner traction battery for the winch, and put old winch battery on as a starter. Turns over first push of the button now? BIZZARE Shocked

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the vehicle onto a weigh bridge today, and not as bad as I thought. Its 1880kg with me sat in it. so 1.8tonne with 5 gal of petrol Very Happy
Our guesses were 1.9 to 2.1 Shocked Afterall, hydraulic winch, twin battery electric system, 40x40mm box section tray back, steel roof, under ski, QT diff gaurds.........and so on!

Now its all back together I will get a picture of the new front slam plate, while it's straight and shiny Cool

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this picture says more about my 1972 range rover than any amount of words Very Happy
The sliding fairlead did a cracking job yesterday. I don't think we did a straight pull all day Shocked Many a time rotating the wheels meant going sideways and downhill. There was as much winching between punches as on them Laughing
Another good weekend at Buildwas (nr Ironbridge UK) made all the better by not breaking anything expensive!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: