Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

suzuki vitara gear box

View previous topic :: View next topic  
webber1982
Just got MTs

Odometer: 367

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: suzuki vitara gear box Reply with quote

this mornin when i woke and saw that it had snowed i decided i was going to work in the zuke so i had my breakfast and thought hmm ill start her up to get the frost off. well when i went to it i couldn't move the gear stick properly and 1 2 5 & R were just a no go area 3 & 4 were selectable just once it had warmed up a bit it went fine. so what I'm guessing is the gearbox is full of emulsion from all my little wading exercises and it had frozen or at least crystallized so I'm guessing its time for a gbox, trans box and front / rear diff oil change. am i right or has anyone any other ideas and i think ill change the fluids regardless so what oils are recommended for my vitara 1.6 8v 1992. thanks in advance.
DifflockPeter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Poor gearchange on cold mornings is a classic sign of a lubricant that is either not up to the job or no longer doing its job properly. Of course, you may also have had frozen linkages if there is muddy deposits around the box from wading.

If you are wading regularly its a good idea to change your transmission lubricant regularly too, and to make sure all the breathers are not blocked or submerged. Also, fix any and all oil leaks with new seals etc since if oil can leak out, water and contaminants can get in.

The very best choice of lubricant for your entire transmission is our very own Evolution 2 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil. Fill the axles and boxes with Evo 2 and you will notice an immediate difference in driveability, shifting and MPG.

HOWEVER, top notch lubes like Evo 2 don't come cheap and given your regular wading you should be changing transmission lubes long before the 48,000 mile plus lifespan of Evo 2.

Therefore, for your truck it may be that a far more cost effective lubricant would be a plain mineral gear oil to API GL4 (GL4 is more than adequate for the modest loads that your engine exerts). An EP80W90 viscosity is the one to seek out since it gives better lubrication and efficiency from cold than an EP90 monograde.

Summarising, fix leaks, check breathers, pressure wash off any muddy deposits and refill the truck with:

Suzuki SJ410 or SJ413:

Main Gearbox 1.3 Litres Evolution 2 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil or Classic GL4 Gear Oil 80W90.

Transfer Gearbox 0.8 Litres Evolution 2 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil or Classic GL4 Gear Oil 80W90.

Front Axle Differential 1.3 Litres Evolution 2 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil or Classic GL4 Gear Oil 80W90.

Rear Axle Differential 1.3 Litres Evolution 2 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil or Classic GL4 Gear Oil 80W90.

As far as engines go, you can use a 15W40 viscosity in the Zuk engine particularly if it other wise likes to use a bit of oil. In fact you can even switch 15W50 viscosity to keep consumption down and maintain oil pressure in a badly worn engine.

However, if you engine is in tip top condition, a semi or fully synthetic engine oil of 10W40 viscosity and API quality grade of SL (ACEA grade A3) would be much better at preventing engine wear and tear in your Zuk when it is being highly stressed.

Whatever you buy don't go thinner than a 10W40 viscosity.

From our own range I would recommend either our 10W40 High Synthetic Engine Oil for engines in very good condition or our higher viscosity Classic 15W50 Engine Oil if your engine is worn past its best. You'll need 3 -4 Litres for an oil and filter change depending on engine so a single 5 litre carton is ideal and will give you a litre or two left over for topping up.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Peter

Last edited by DifflockPeter on Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
DifflockPeter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW,

As for propshafts, our Long Life Lithium Grease is an extremely well specified and able to withstand abnormal operating conditions for much longer than traditional greases. In fact it is especially recommended where high temperature, high load conditions also call for strong adhesion and water resistance so its perfect for offroaders.

Best Regards

Peter
webber1982
Just got MTs

Odometer: 367

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers fella can i get the evolution 2 in 25 liter drums. and when u say cheap what we talkin I'm all for having the best stuff as long as it's truly better and I'm not just paying for the name. i trust your word and know that your oils have been made with the off roader in mind. as for the engine oil, no disrespect but i nick 10/40 semi synth from work so i have no problem in that respect lol. what additives would u recommend i use slick 50 in everything, but i change the engine oil every 3k so even with the free oil this is proving to be expensive i know it doesn't have to be done every time but its done 115,000 and don't use a drop of oil nor water so i like to take care of it. Ive been using slick in the axles and boxes too but now Ive gotta do them all the cost will be intergalactic bearing in mind a bottle of slick 50 is 12 quid ish does difflock do anything along the same lines thanks again.
DifflockPeter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We can offer a 10% bulk saver discount for orders of 25 Litres but do think carefully about the total cost if you are going to change the lube regularly. Evo 2 is formulated to give a very long life (typically in excess of 48,000 miles) whilst giving the very best anti wear protection. Hence like all high quality lubes it doesn't come cheap (£6.99 per litre inc VAT).

As far as high quality lubricants go, they are already blended to include the very latest additive packs and the best base stocks available therefore they are not significantly improved by aftermarket additive packs even if the claims for the additives were true, and many are simply hogwash - see here:

The Engine Oil Bible Additives

Oil additives (discounting those that are purely 'snake oil') do have some applications in masking faults. One such application might be so called 'stop leak' additives that make worn oil seals swell to reduce leakage. These do however have varied degrees of success depending upon the seriousness of the original fault.

To be fair to those additive manufacturers who are selling products based on proven lubricant chemistry, their products may be of benefit where lubricant choice is limited or cost constrained or where correct servicing intervals are not maintained. Equally some additives may be successful at reducing certain faults such as oil leakage or burn off in combustion chambers but remember results will depend on the seriousness and nature of the fault in question.

As far as our Evolution gear oils go, we do not recommend the use of ANY other additives whatsoever since these may adversely affect the very properties (ie viscosity, coefficient of friction, shear strength) which allow them to perform so well. In fact, this is why we favour fully blended solutions over additives since fully blended solutions are carefully researched and tested to ensure the various chemical compounds within are compatible and complimentary to each other. It may not be the case that every additive has been tested with every available lubricant on the market to which it is added.

So you pays your money and you takes your choice Very Happy

Best Regards

Peter
choochoo
Gate Opener

Odometer: 5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
just read all this as i dont know if i have missed some thing about the gearbox. transfer box and diff oils. you say for sj 410 and 413 . is this same for vitara 1.6
thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Oils and Lubricants All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: