Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Re-engine-eering
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2185

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turnip wrote:
Hey DX - take out that interlock for reverse and you will still have only 2 reverses or 4 if you go 8 speed - believe me Ive done it!
I assume it is because the reversing pinion is only on "low " ratio?

Didn't know that - was going by something I'd read over on benzworld some time ago.

If only 3rd was a reverse gear, would actually be able to get somewhere Laughing
Turnip
Just got MTs

Odometer: 192

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LM - re that front engine mount.......... I have taken a picture of what I did but it might not help you much!
The Iveco engine I used was transverse mounted and slung from two high up mounts - at cyl head height one end and g box the other.
I figured that the original Mog mount was only single at the front and that I would duplicate this. The engine before - a ford york had 2 side mounts and I always felt that it "fought" the gearbox mounting system.
All I did (see pic) was use the single high mount and made an A frame which drops to the tubular cross member which the original bolts too.

dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turnip, do you have all the pics of your conversion?

I'm going from a 6cly york to a 4 cly lump, and reading your posts I'm learning a LOT. I didn't know about the engine mounting positions, I just assumed that the 2 from the york on the chassis were picking up original mounts.

I think that you have all (well most) of the answers to the questions which I'll be asking myself in the near future Exclamation
Turnip
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DX yep I do! Im trying to get time to put them on a CD and send them to you - work keeps getting in the way!!

I really will try harder! In the mean while feel free to ask!

dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turnip wrote:
DX yep I do! Im trying to get time to put them on a CD and send them to you - work keeps getting in the way!!

Thanks Very Happy Im in no desperate hurry, the engine is still up in york, I've a spare cab on the drive which needs some body work... Laughing slow and steady (well that's what I keep telling myself.
grease monkey
Gate Opener

Odometer: 29

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turnip wrote:

Hi Turnip
when you have compiled your cd could you let me know as i would like one also

at the moment trying to get the petrol engine running and then the brakes then a test drive befor dismantling it

namy thanks Neil
Turnip
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil,
DX has offered to put the pics on the thread because I lack the technical skills because Im a ........Turnip! If we cannot achieve that I will certainly make a copy for you!
I have looked on the bay and these Iveco Fiat engines do come up. The one you need is the 2.5 tdi number 8140.47 but people seem to want them for their 2.5 naturally aspirated campers!
I guess the later 2.8 hdi may be similar but its fly by wire and electronics and I just wouldnt go there.
If you go the Iveco route and I have to say I am really impressed so far! get everything you can off the doner gearbox,all pipes mountings the lot!
Then find a Leyland Roadrunner truck and use the compresser, all tanks and master cylinder pedal block and you can have sht hot brakes too!

grease monkey
Gate Opener

Odometer: 29

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank for that turnip

never thought about that for the brakes
i take it that the road runner has air over hydraulic brake system the same as the old bedford system
land mawe
Gate Opener

Odometer: 40

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turnip - thanks again...

i am going to try the 2 side mounts and see how it works.

am worried about the need of:

"For an additional transverse stiffener, two hinged tie bars are inserted, those connect the engine with the clutch housing"

did you do anything like add struts/stiffners/braces between engine and bell housing? is it necessary anyone?

also - brakes: are the original ones air assist? will they work ok without compressor and boosters etc??

LM
Turnip
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil and LM -
Brakes - the original Mog as I understand it would have been hydraulic with a vacuum servo to assist - I guess this would have been tapped into the inlet manifold as it was a petrol engine.
On my system you have two options - the Iveco engine has a vacuum pump some you could just use that......or I stripped a Leyland Roadrunner of all the stuff - Progressive valve block, which fits neatley inside the std Mog pedal box, all pipes, 3 tanks, twin diaphragm master cylinder and miles of quick connect push fit air pipe. Look at the picture of the Mog tipped and you can see it all on the LH chassis rail - using holes existing in the chassis - Im funny about stuff like that. What you end up with is Dual air / Dual Hydraulic brakes which will put you through the screen if you want! but progressive also. The whole rig is driven by the Leyland compressor which I modded to belt drive. I also took a bleed and rigged an air handbrake (as well as the std) so I can lock 4 wheels when winching. And yes Neil - like the Bedford system - all the hydraulics remain std Mog.
The tie bars between engine and box? I didnt have any with the Ford engine and I havent used any on the Iveco - perhaps this is a mistake? I dont know? I have posted some pics of the Iveco to Mog trans and all I can say is that it looks OK to me! I have used every fixing I could and since the Mog loads are resolved in the Gearbox mountings not the engine (look at the flimsy std Mog front mount) - I hope Im OK!!!

Turnip
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the brake pic!
Turnip
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try again!!
Turnip
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been trying to work out out to fit a tacho on this Iveco engined Mog so that I can work out engine speed v road speed.
Went to the Newbury sortout with and eye to picking up an alternator W sensing tacho to suit..........couldnt find a thing! I eventually found a fairly iffy looking Lucas marine 4000 rev unit that was cheap enough to try!
Rushed home and went to connect only to find.......... no W tapping on this fairly modern Valeo alternator - Boo - have to change to another with it on?
Couldnt find one the same - so I thought W terminal is referred to as "phase tap" so I took the back off the alternator and randomly selected one of the six big wires that come out to the diode block on the back and soldered my wire on - connected it all up and guess what? It works!! I calibrated it with and optical tach on the crank pulley and it it is good within about 20 rpm throughout the range - result!
A faint heart never..............etc

land mawe
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is progress....

Modified the Toyota clutch to fit the input shaft, so decided to use its bellhouse, and have built an adapter that bolts onto the Mog gear box. Had to shave off a bit of the tube cross member, and build in that hump on the new adapter plate.

Mountings: built two supports off the front of the chassis and used land cruiser mounting bushes. Engine seems to sit quite high.... Tall block. Turned the engine and its all sweet!

Found an hzj80 power steering box and a mazda pump. Trying to fit that in, and get it to work as a right hand drive rig....this needs some thought with the linkages so it turns as should!

The guys from vk cars should be sending the brake cylinders next week... Thanks for that link! Will look for a drum locally again thanks for the offers.

Scored a big discount from the pirelli agents here and the rig will ride on 365/80 r20

So then its left to decide on the body.

Will post images at some point if anyone interested.
dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

land mawe wrote:

Will post images at some point if anyone interested.

Cool Cool

Pictures always good. Nice to see how people tackle things differently.
land mawe
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dx

posting some images....

the donor car for engine and bits is an old Toyota FJ55 the "iron pig"...have decided to stick the body onto the chassis too...so now it looks like a monster truck. gone..alas...is the forward control aspect so driving it should be very interesting...but it looks mean!

so will have a good trail rig with the awesome abilities of the UNIMOG....

thats the plan!

have sent the brake shoes off for new linings. The drums are not worn badly and dont look like they were skimmed...what thickness to go with on the lining? any ideas??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Mercedes & Unimog All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: