Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Theft Prevention measures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashtrans
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 81

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Theft Prevention measures Reply with quote

Whilst I sympathise with the above, the first thought that comes to mind is, did the owner take any theft precautions ?

Of course he may well have so this is not directed at the camel 110 but we all know there are lots of Defenders being pinched at the moment mainly it seems in the north so if you are doing nothing special on your stock 200 or 300 then don't be surprized when it's not outside tomorrow morning.

Broadly car thefts can be put in 2 catagories, taken with and without keys,

without keys :

I mention 200 and 300 as these are very easy to start with minimal wiring, the first thing you should do is to fit a secret switch to the injector pump solenoid, this is a half hour DIY job and can make all the difference. Get outside now and do this !.

there are of course many other things, a few :

lock bonnet down so the secret switch is not by passed
pedal locks
handbrake locks
steering wheel locks

what about putting a thread at the bottom of the gear stick so you unscrew it and take it in the house at night ! dead easy, very effective.

with keys :

TD5 and puma, less of a problem as they are less desirsable on the parts market and you need the keys due to immobilisers, as well as the above you need to look at house security and where you keep the keys, there are 2 schools of thought on this, keep the keys very visable so the intruded leaves the house ASAP or take the keys to bed or hide them, I opt for the former as I have 3 young kids in the house.

I have learn't quite a bit about this from a nasty experience of a 'with keys' theft,

I now :

have a gate on the drive

have window locks and laminated glass

garage the car

red care alarm in house

infra red beams around the house perimeter linked to a separate alarm as an early warning device, this alone is enough to defer at thief,

top of the range 'cobratrac5' system in car, with dummy system in the factory install position (cunning).

thieves will always steal cars, unfortunatly the name of the game is to make yours harder to steal than someone elses.

This post is meant to be constructive and encourage all to consider what precautions they are taking.

I am sure you have many other ideas so post up,

Dave
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 40007

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracker fitted to mine.
Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - yes that's right, I have a Zook!
sharkey964
Gate Opener

Odometer: 31

2003 Land Rover Discovery

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good,informative thread.Lots of food for thought.
One I always favored,is a folding post in the enterance to driveway.I know this is not possible if you park in the street.
Wheel clamp is also a good deterant.
Sharkey
mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3096

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave.
I wonder if you have seen a handbrake button that has a lock fitted to it ?
I saw on many years ago fitted to a Range Rover. I never did manage to find who made it or where to get one from.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!
ashtrans
Winch Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trackers are worth having but I wouldn't put too much faith in them,

In the theft I had the vehicle had a top spec GPS and GSM tracker and the signal was dead in a matter of minutes probably torn out within a few hundred yards and thrown in a bush, thats why on my current car I have a dummy unit fitted where you would expect to find one.

Also the trackers are 'reactive' not 'proactive', they don't stop the car getting stolen, they just can help get it back.

The post may suit some folk but the wheelclamp is not very user friendly, don't forget you have to live with these systems everyday, may be OK if you only use it at weekends though.

The handbrake lock sounds a good idea, not seem one of them before.

A friend of mine also fits a South African anti hijack product which cuts the fuel pump after 30 secs if you don't press a secret button before starting, the idea being you let them get away so you are safe but the car soon dies. I don't think this is legal in the UK as the poor theif may be put in danger if the engine unexpectedly cuts.
mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3096

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locks on the battery box.
No live wires outside the battery box once everything is switched off.
A visual deterrent. Something they can see that will slow them down.

Now all we need is somebody to make that handbrake lock.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!
blanche_90
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2515

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handbrake lock is all very well to stop an opportunist in the carpark, well maybe, ( some of them travel around with multitools ) but it's very easily overcome by just slackening off the handbrake adjuster underneath!!. Evil or Very Mad
crazymac
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2389

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really feel for you guys Crying or Very sad

I live in an area that has not had a stolen car in three years, and the one that was stolen three years ago was left running and the door open, it was taken a quarter of a mile and left still running outside a pub! thief was arrested in a half hour!!

I have no immobiliser on my vehicle although it does live in my garage at night, often my keys are left in the ignition! I leave my back door unlocked at night, if I park in town I rarely lock my vehicle and happily leave my wallet and mobile in the car while unattended!!

http://www.ww4x4.co.uk/index.php
Neil Chowney
Just got MTs

Odometer: 217

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats car theft?.... I have a Lada...... Laughing

Rear diffs howling agian...... Good old LR genuine parts.... Less than a year on a fully recon unit....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype NameeBay Name
sharkey964
Gate Opener

Odometer: 31

2003 Land Rover Discovery

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sad state of affairs that we are running this thread.But it shows how bad it has now got in England(and many other countrys).The place is declining into lawlessnes,when I come over to visit I won't bring my Porsche for fear of it being nicked/damaged.
This is one of the many reasons I moved to France,we have little or no crime here in the rural areas,I regularly leave my vehices with doors unlocked,keys in ignition,wallet & mobile on dash.My van is left unlocked with all my power tools in the back,at home and on jobs.Its all about respect,and I'm afraid that's somthing that is missing in Britain.
Rant over!!!I feel beter now. Laughing
Sharkey
jojo
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5422

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymac wrote:

I live in an area that has not had a stolen car in three years, and the one that was stolen three years ago was left running and the door open, it was taken a quarter of a mile and left still running outside a pub! thief was arrested in a half hour!!

I have no immobiliser on my vehicle although it does live in my garage at night, often my keys are left in the ignition! I leave my back door unlocked at night, if I park in town I rarely lock my vehicle and happily leave my wallet and mobile in the car while unattended!!

You have just advertised to the thieving b******s where to go for easy pickings - cars and doors unlocked, key in ignition and mobile and wallet in car. Why not fit a sat nav and leave that in the car so that the scum can find their way home easily?

J
D9OSV
Gate Opener

Odometer: 36

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it matters little what you do........... Sad

We live approx 1 hr ish from Essex docks, by the time you have noticed your Landrover gone, they are in a container at the the bottom of a stack waiting to be shipped abroad, there is not a tracker in the world that can penerate that.

A young lad had his vehicle stolen and bought another Defender which he crashed, we rebuilt it and fitted a Lazorline alarm, Mech-lock and a steering wheel lock as a visual deterrant.
The alarm is a classy unit and if you tried to bypass the igntion or the solenoids, it spikes the electric system rendering the vehilce immoblie.
The mech lock is also good as once the clucth has been depressed by the thief it stays disengaged thus stopping them from driving the vehicle.
The steering lock tends to stop the chancers.

Imagine his suprise when he woke up one morning to find it not parked outside his bedroom.
We are still not sure how they did it, as a crane lorry would have been heard?
But vansih it did.

He now drives a Clio or something else as he heart broken about losing yet another vehicle that he pored his heart in to.....

At the other end, a chap walked into my workshop the other day asking if we bought secondhand parts.

Replying "yes" he continued to tell us of the delights he had in his yard.
When leaving he stuck his head round the door gave a grin, and asked if we need worried that it was "A bit warm"

I passed his number on to the local copper..........

Yes fit locks, alarms, and anything else you can, but please remeber that if you are targeted by pro's there is little you can do to stop them.

Sad, but true.

Jim

Ps: The best anti theft device i have seen was in Hungary. I was racing over there in 2000 and the evening before we started we had to leave the vehicles parked on the street in Budapest.
My mate lives there and is terrified of the vehicles getting nicked.
The answer? Employ two taxi drivers to sit up all night with the cars.
The other trick was to know they where ex forces.
Cost less than ten us dollars Very Happy

Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 40007

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashtrans wrote:

In the theft I had the vehicle had a top spec GPS and GSM tracker and the signal was dead in a matter of minutes probably torn out within a few hundred yards and thrown in a bush, thats why on my current car I have a dummy unit fitted where you would expect to find one.

Also the trackers are 'reactive' not 'proactive', they don't stop the car getting stolen, they just can help get it back.

Was it actually a "Tracker" or just a GPS/GSM tracking device? You would have trouble removing a Tracker properly installed by a certified installer - they won't even tell the customer where it is installed.

As well as the GPS/GSM option Tracker also use VHF radio which is physically tracked on the ground by all the UK's police forces and at all docks and airports. Tracker is also proactive - IE the monitoring centre is alerted when the vehicle moves without the keys or keyfob. and imediately contacts the vehicle owner to ensure it's not a false alarm.

Yes I agree that nothing is infallible but but at least with Tracker there is a very good chance that I will get my vehicle back should it be stolen and, as a dealer for Tracker, I see the figures and they are extremely successful.

Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - yes that's right, I have a Zook!
Rob110
Articulating

Odometer: 548

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is one of these.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=geynA-JYDHE

Now just where to get one???

ashtrans
Winch Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. wrote:
ashtrans wrote:

Was it actually a "Tracker" or just a GPS/GSM tracking device? You would have trouble removing a Tracker properly installed by a certified installer - they won't even tell the customer where it is installed.

As well as the GPS/GSM option Tracker also use VHF radio which is physically tracked on the ground by all the UK's police forces and at all docks and airports. Tracker is also proactive - IE the monitoring centre is alerted when the vehicle moves without the keys or keyfob. and imediately contacts the vehicle owner to ensure it's not a false alarm.

Yes I agree that nothing is infallible but but at least with Tracker there is a very good chance that I will get my vehicle back should it be stolen and, as a dealer for Tracker, I see the figures and they are extremely successful.

Hi,

yes is was a genuine Tracker, Horizon maybe, it was the top unit in 2003 when it was fitted and cost £ 1000 + subscription, they all get fitted in the same place in this model so I was told, either way it didn't take them long to find it.

I now have the fob system on my new car and this is a good idea but wouldn't have helped in my theft as I saw it go up the drive at 4am, I didn't need any alerting !

I am sure they are usually quite successful but not in my case,

Dave
spannerman69
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2807

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my last line of security

got to be the best security device , he`s never let me down . 7 year old german shep , he`s had a couple that he` s found prowling around in the garden over the years.

:)
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4337

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the message behind Dennis's story - there is always someone who can break in and make it work. Having done a little work on vehicle electronics I know that the engineers who designed it invariably have a way round.

In the end there is little you can do about a car being picked up, put on a low-loader and taken away.

I have installed a couple of immobilising methods detailed above, but obviously I'm not going to detail exactly 'what and how' on an open forum. However I don't have a visual deterrent and I do like the idea of a locking hand brake. Yes I appreciate that it can be defeated by slackening off the adjuster or cutting the cable, but it is one more thing which needs to be done before the vehicle can be moved. The attractive thing for me about a hand brake lock will probably be small and easy to fit.
--
Tim.

lindsey
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 84

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymac wrote:

I live just up the coast from you near Aberystwyth and until recently would agree with you BUT twice in the last year someone has come down our mile long drive to nick the petrol out of one of our Jap sports cars police have been out both times and all they could suggest was CCTV covering the cars. Also had the boot lock smashed off another car(mitsubishi fto) as a easy way past the alarm and central locking only thief was to stupid to realise fto has rear firewall between boot and cabin so all he/she got was an empty space, blanked off lock now and installed electric release from inside and bl**dy loud alarm.

XrHiNo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superglue razor blades along the back edge of the plastic steering column covers.
Try to keep a straight face when the policeman says "we'll dust for fingerprints" Twisted Evil
norseman45
Just got MTs

Odometer: 185

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there was a 'handbrake - lock' type of product on the market many years ago, it took the form of a combination lock activated by a series of numbered rings on the brake grip itself. I never bought one but remember thinking that the driver would need hands the size of bananas to grip operate the lever Laughing
spannerman69
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2807

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norseman45 wrote:
I'm sure there was a 'handbrake - lock' type of product on the market many years ago, it took the form of a combination lock activated by a series of numbered rings on the brake grip itself. I never bought one but remember thinking that the driver would need hands the size of bananas to grip operate the lever Laughing

there was such a lock , a mate has one on his xr4i , classic car .

sbrown
Gate Opener

Odometer: 25

2006 Nissan D21 Doublecab

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone's come across it. Saw a Disco parked in a car park with a 'seat lock' installed.

It involved the drivers seat being tipped all the way forwards then locked in place. I thought it was ingenious!! It means that there is absolutely no way anyone could drive the car. Admittedly doesn't stop someone lifting it but would make it damn hard even to get up on a trailer in combination with a steering lock.

Anyone heard of such a thing - had a hunt around and can't find any info on it.
norseman45
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memory is in re-wind mode again ('Oh the joys of being an old fart, see hand-brake lock post) & once again I recall seeing this type of device being promoted, many years ago by the inventor, but don't know if it ever made it into production.
Unsworth
Articulating

Odometer: 820

1988 Land Rover 90 TD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a subject that appeals to me quite a lot!.

Like most other land rover owners I have worked really hard on my land rovers and spent huge amounts of money on them.. And only being 17, I cant just go out and buy another if mine gets stolen as I cant afford it!.

At home my Series 2a is locked away in a workshop blocked off by my dads L200, My 90 and then My Mothers 206 and all thats in a locked compound covered with a CCTV camera to the television right beside me and its constantly on..

My biggest worry though is parking up at Chesterfield college, For my Series I made a steering lock.. (Consisted of 3ft of scaffolding tube, two tabs welded on to accept two large padlocks, All painted yellow so it works well)..

Although last week there was numerous spots of broken glass on the pavement signifying broken windows so that got me quite edgy!

So now with the 90 I take the following measures:

-Negative battery terminal off (It means I have to reset the clock every time I leave it but so what)

-Some heavy gauge, Hardened chain padlocked to the clutch and brake pedals coming up to the steering wheel and padlocked to the steering wheel

-More heavy gauge chain and padlocks which when the drivers seat is folded forward, Lock the seats headrest to the steering wheel

-Then two mates normally with hatchbacks block me in (Parking is limited and we all go at once, Plus its another deterrent)

-Parked outside a dis-used business's car park so it looks like a staffs car

-Head Unit and anything that looks desirable is moved from sight

But I plan to now get either a clutch claw, or one of those new "Full metal jackets" which lock all the pedals together and a switch on the fuel pumps stop solenoid..

The only ways people can thieve cars which I can think of are via -

-Hot-wiring (Cant do that if the battery is not connected and the solenoid is switched off, And they cant get into the drivers seat as its locked down)

-Towing, (Well unless they can move two other hatchbacks first and get into the drivers seat to steer and then remove the heavy chain from the Brake and clutch pedals to the wheel.. Its not going to happen)

-Hi-ab lorry (Well there's no possible way a Hi-ab'd lorry could get near enough to lift my defender out, Unless they had a really long boom and at full reach it could lift over 2 tonnes!

-Trailered away, Well if they cant tow it out to a trailer, It wont happen

So I think I have it sussed up to now, There's no realistic way that it can be pinched if I carry on with my precautions. Its only ever parked up at college in a car park as said, Home in my compound then blocked off by my mums 206 and rarely when I go into a shop and then Its all locked up..

I plan on more precautions and devices... You can never be to safe.. You cant stop someone from robbing your pride and joy, But you can make it really hard for them!

Ray_Jnr
Banned!

Odometer: 4671

1987 Land Rover 90 TD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Like most other land rover owners I have worked really hard on my land rovers and spent huge amounts of money on them.. And only being 17, I cant just go out and buy another if mine gets stolen as I cant afford it!.

At home my Series 2a is locked away in a workshop blocked off by my dads L200, My 90 and then My Mothers 206 and all thats in a locked compound covered with a CCTV camera to the television right beside me and its constantly on..

My biggest worry though is parking up at Chesterfield college, For my Series I made a steering lock.. (Consisted of 3ft of scaffolding tube, two tabs welded on to accept two large padlocks, All painted yellow so it works well)..

Although last week there was numerous spots of broken glass on the pavement signifying broken windows so that got me quite edgy!

-Negative battery terminal off (It means I have to reset the clock every time I leave it but so what)

-Some heavy gauge, Hardened chain padlocked to the clutch and brake pedals coming up to the steering wheel and padlocked to the steering wheel

-More heavy gauge chain and padlocks which when the drivers seat is folded forward, Lock the seats headrest to the steering wheel

-Then two mates normally with hatchbacks block me in (Parking is limited and we all go at once, Plus its another deterrent)

But I plan to now get either a clutch claw, or one of those new "Full metal jackets" which lock all the pedals together and a switch on the fuel pumps stop solenoid..

-Hot-wiring (Cant do that if the battery is not connected and the solenoid is switched off, And they cant get into the drivers seat as its locked down)

-Towing, (Well unless they can move two other hatchbacks first and get into the drivers seat to steer and then remove the heavy chain from the Brake and clutch pedals to the wheel.. Its not going to happen)

-Hi-ab lorry (Well there's no possible way a Hi-ab'd lorry could get near enough to lift my defender out, Unless they had a really long boom and at full reach it could lift over 2 tonnes!

So I think I have it sussed up to now, There's no realistic way that it can be pinched if I carry on with my precautions. Its only ever parked up at college in a car park as said, Home in my compound then blocked off by my mums 206 and rarely when I go into a shop and then Its all locked up..

I plan on more precautions and devices... You can never be to safe.. You cant stop someone from robbing your pride and joy, But you can make it really hard for them!

by the time i had undone all of that i could have walked 3 miles. security is great fun but this seems overkill and a right pain to put up with everyday.

Unsworth
Articulating

1988 Land Rover 90 TD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saitan_jnr wrote:
Quote:

by the time i had undone all of that i could have walked 3 miles. security is great fun but this seems overkill and a right pain to put up with everyday.

It takes me less than two minutes to do everything... And think of it this way if it was stolen.. How long would I need to work to buy another Defender and how much more money and time would it cost me to Buy/Fit all my kit once again? And not forgetting the headache of loosing my everyday motor?

porny
Just got MTs

Odometer: 152

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Theft Prevention measures Reply with quote

ashtrans wrote:

Broadly car thefts can be put in 2 catagories, taken with and without keys,

without keys :

I mention 200 and 300 as these are very easy to start with minimal wiring, the first thing you should do is to fit a secret switch to the injector pump solenoid, this is a half hour DIY job and can make all the difference. Get outside now and do this !.

there are of course many other things, a few :

lock bonnet down so the secret switch is not by passed
pedal locks
handbrake locks
steering wheel locks

what about putting a thread at the bottom of the gear stick so you unscrew it and take it in the house at night ! dead easy, very effective.

with keys :

TD5 and puma, less of a problem as they are less desirsable on the parts market and you need the keys due to immobilisers, as well as the above you need to look at house security and where you keep the keys, there are 2 schools of thought on this, keep the keys very visable so the intruded leaves the house ASAP or take the keys to bed or hide them, I opt for the former as I have 3 young kids in the house.

I agree and disagree with this...

200 and 300Tdi are very easy to steal, even if the battery is disconnected. A switch on the fuel solenoid might stop someone for two mins, but anyone with even basic knowledge will get round this. A small 12 volt bike battery will happily activate a tdi fuel solenoid, even if you prevented access to a 12volt supply under bonnet - via an isolator. With the solenoid activated, a quick push down the road and a tdi will bump into life.

A much better way is mechanical protection - a good steering lock, a mech lock, and a full metal jacket. An additional solenoid on the fuel supply is also a good idea. A tdi will run for about a min or two on the fuel in the filter, but will then stop. These can be had for not much money.

In saying that, the mech lock is not bullet proof, neither are those locks that just cover the clutch and brake. It is very easy to drive a Defender (or most cars for that matter) without use of the clutch... but at least it makes life harder.

As for Td5 and Puma being less of a problem... I have to disagree. You do not need to have the keys!!!

Td5's if you know what you are doing are just as easy to pinch as any other Land Rover. Depending on the spec, not all of them have the immobiliser function (depends if you have an alarm key fob). I for one can start any Td5 without keys - I do this quite often for local Land Rover breakers.

If it was my Td5....

I'd make sure the lid for the ECU was locked thus preventing access.

I'd move the standard alarm sounder (be either the standard additional horn, or the battery back up version). A favourite trick it is to pull the wheel arch spat down and unplug the additional horn for the alarm (or give the battery backup siren a voltage). The other method to gain access is to remove the headlamp. With the siren removed and the indicator bulbs removed you can drive a Td5 with the alarm going off without anyone noticing....

Pumas are slightly harder, but again it can be done relatively easily... but is a bit harder than a Td5. The same still applies for the sounder though... just move it, or encase it to make it harder!!

Td5 and Pumas are very nickable due to people wanting panels - a set of front doors for example will fetch £500, the rear door £400 etc etc. Then you've got the entire trim etc etc.

Ian

norseman45
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Defender myself but for those of you that are most concerned about 'theft of' (as opposed to 'theft from') the car from your own property & assuming you park in roughly the same place each time:
A heavy ring bolted or concreted into the ground underneath the car, linked by a quality chain & padlock to an axle beam or the chassis? That way the scumbags can't drive/tow/load or even lift the vehicle & the car is sitting over the ringbolt, thereby denying the crims access to that as well.

Unsworth
Articulating

1988 Land Rover 90 TD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norseman45 wrote:
I don't have a Defender myself but for those of you that are most concerned about 'theft of' (as opposed to 'theft from') the car from your own property & assuming you park in roughly the same place each time:
A heavy ring bolted or concreted into the ground underneath the car, linked by a quality chain & padlock to an axle beam or the chassis? That way the scumbags can't drive/tow/load or even lift the vehicle & the car is sitting over the ringbolt, thereby denying the crims access to that as well.

If your like me and go offroading pretty much daily, You dont really fancy going under a Muddy, Wet, Dripping Landrover to hook a chain around the axle to chain to the floor?..

Or Especially if your like me, You would forget about it being there and try driving off! Rolling Eyes

RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with anything to do with safety and security there is a balance to be struck.

Theft from
Forget it. There is nothing you can do except leave nothing in your vehicle worth nicking and leave the doors unlocked so they can climb in and check without smashing a window.

Theft of
The best security is simple, easy and convenient to use so you keep using it. Nothing will stop the Pro so don't bother trying. I have a Meck Lock so that it is harder to nick my 90, trailer and Veteran car/caravan in a one'er and that's it. I find keeping it dirty and filled with rubbish makes it less attractive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Land Rover All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: