Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Hand Pullers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Gear, Equipment and Vehicle Preparation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M&S
Just got MTs

Odometer: 278

2004 Land Rover Discovery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Hand Pullers Reply with quote

Hi, you can probably guess I'm writing my list of essentials!

Has anyone used a hand puller along the lines of this type before:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...ame=WDVW&rd=1

I was looking at a Tirfor but these are much cheaper. I know you get what you pay for etc, but at a basic level would this do the job of getting me out of a muddy hole if needed? I'm not talking winch challenges obviously!

Cheers, M&S
LandyAndy™
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1488

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm, I would be suprised if it was a geniune 4T pull (or 4T anything!) Here's the Clarke one http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/chp1250-heavy-duty-power-puller/path/chain-steel-wire-rope-hoists which looks similar and is only 1.25T.

I have Tirfor and can recommend them. Mines a TU16 (2.4T pull) and is enough to get you out of a boggy bit. Yes they're not cheap but, as you say, you get what you pay for.

chrisvitarasport94
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1255

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you going to use it for?

for a short tug or a slow emergency rescue the Lift Lift jack can be used as a hand winch; with a shackle kit, and bset use a tow chain to avoid wasting effort on tensioning a rope or strap

it can also be used as a hi lift jack!

'94 3dr s/top Sport, roof bars, roof lights, Calmini bumper, SuperwinchEP9, CB & handheld, GPS, fwh's, 8x15 alloys, 31x10.5x15 BFG MT K/M's, 2" body lift, skid plates, 2.5" susp lift, & hi-lift. Safari Snorkel. R Lockright
ross_fj73
Just got MTs

Odometer: 425

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Pullers Reply with quote

The thing on ebay will definately not work, I found one in a landcruiser I had bought and asked the PO if he wanted it back.
He didnt want it back as he had tried it when bogged and found it useless.

The gear ratio is to high to pull a 4wd from a bogged position. Adding an extension to the handle caused the whole thing to twist and bulge.

If you dont want to spend up big ,some of these might be more helpful.
https://www.maxtrax.com.au/

There is nothing cheap in recovery gear but they come close.

1988 Volvo 740 GL
tacr2man
Just got MTs

Odometer: 208

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are ok to lift a gearbox or some such job but thats as far as it goes , The hi lift will fulfill several functions, jack, bead breaker, winch .
So best bang for buck, and you need to think of weight. A well made ali ladder, cut into two six foot lengths work well to give you extra flotation over sand mud etc , not as bridge , lighter than the psp, and cheaper. Also a couple of good spades Very Happy

M&S
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks everyone Very Happy

It just so happens that we popped in for a long chat at Durham 4WheelDrive today and they too have suggested a Hi-Lift! We saw one at the store and think that as it is so versitile (especially once I get the sliders and front guard with jacking points), as you have said, that I'm sold Cool

It seems like just the thing for most recovery needs that I anticipate. It will also be much quicker when I want to stick my mud wheels on for the weekend. I do like having one thing that does many tasks, saves weight, space, and in this case, money Cool

I do like the look of the maxtrax but think I'll go for the waffle boards as I have already a design for using them as a bench or camping table as well Rolling Eyes

Thanks again everyone, this is a great forum Smile
chrisvitarasport94
Off-Road Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's how to do it safely

http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/hilift_jack.htm

'94 3dr s/top Sport, roof bars, roof lights, Calmini bumper, SuperwinchEP9, CB & handheld, GPS, fwh's, 8x15 alloys, 31x10.5x15 BFG MT K/M's, 2" body lift, skid plates, 2.5" susp lift, & hi-lift. Safari Snorkel. R Lockright
M&S
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, a great link and some great links from that - especially regarding the accessories for the jack!

Has anyone used the Quickfist clamps such as those seen here? Look like good value and speedy, also useful for holding shovels etc?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4x-Original-Quick-Fist-Clamp-Hi-Lift-Mounting-for-4x4_W0QQitemZ370093594010QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370093594010&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Cheers.
chrisvitarasport94
Off-Road Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the jack rack brackets £15 fitted onto my roof rack, so that I lift the jack onto the 2 studs and lock it down with the wing nuts ( + padlock)

the jack is long and heavy & unwieldy ( I'm 5'10" and 14 st) and I wanted it on the roof, on the basis that when I'm stuck the Vit will be bogged down, so a bumper mount would not be appropriate

I've looked at the quick fists at OEC near me, and they are good; Ideal for a spade etc, However I wouldn't mount them on the vertical face of anything if they are carrying something heavy; .........having undone one quick fist clamp I wouldn't like to have to hold up 1 end of the jack up whilst undoing the quick fist at the other end (with one hand) and then catching the jack as it drops out!

I'd suggest mounting them on a horizontal surface for use with a jack

M&S
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Received the Quickfists yesterday. Good bit of kit for fixing shovels etc inside the vehicle, or in a load bay. Wouldn't trust them for use outside of the vehicle where they might cause an accident if they failed Confused

Also picked up the Hi-Lift today. Boy is it heavy Shocked
As you say, certainly not suited to the Quickfists I don't think. So I bought the 4x4rac as well. Nice bit of kit, fits perfectly and as you say, you can slot on one end and then the other, letting the brackets take some of the weight. Far easier Cool

Here's a picture of mine fitted to the bulkhead, and the shovel fixed with quickfists.
Lee3197
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 79

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello M & S,

am I right in saying that's a Td5 Disco 2 commercial ? Any chance of some more photo's of your truck mate ? Cool

Lee.
chrisvitarasport94
Off-Road Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neat job; watch your back leaning in to lift it out!
M&S
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee, yes it is a TD5 commercial. It's in for a wax oil today but when it comes back I'll post some photos in the introduce yourself thread that I have: http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=31634
There are some shots of it in action here: http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=31830&highlight=langdale

Thanks Chris, must say I'm pleased with it Smile (thanks also to Screwfix, why didn't I find them years ago!). It does reach the floor whilst supported at one end so it's not too bad, and you can lift one side up at a time when refitting (hence why it's not any mounted any higher).
G.
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6641

1989 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

them hand winches require effort, get a big leccy one off ebay and put it on your truck, itl luk the part if you never use it!!!
**** Sister #3
Amman.rhino.Suzuki.Elite
spacehopper
Just got MTs

Odometer: 176

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G. wrote:
itl luk the part if you never use it!!!

So completely pointless then??
cieranc
Just got MTs

Odometer: 451

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ebay link has gone mate but I'm assuming you mean one of those ratchet type pullers?

If so, don't bother. Save the extra for a Tirfor, worth every penny.
Of course, the HiLift does the same job, may be a little more time consuming (rigging, pulling, securing, releasing, re-rigging).

Roger
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2050

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comment is a bit late but it may be useful to some.

I have a small alloy bodied hand winch and combined with a nylon rope is an effective way to get you out of the mud, especially if you are on your own.

Rig the rope to the anchor and using the puller stretch the rope tight. Then drive forward or back until rope slackens. Repeat until free. It works!

Roger
terence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger wrote:
This comment is a bit late but it may be useful to some.

I have a small alloy bodied hand winch and combined with a nylon rope is an effective way to get you out of the mud, especially if you are on your own.

Rig the rope to the anchor and using the puller stretch the rope tight. Then drive forward or back until rope slackens. Repeat until free. It works!

Roger

just sweat a stout rope round a tree works just as well.

drive till you get tension on the rope , reverse - forwards tension etc etc ... when vehichle moves , stop re tightenen rope and try again , it will eventually move you out of the hole you are stuck in

use that on the pheasant shoots a lot ,when the softroaders havent got any kit with them.. except rope that is...

Last edited by terence on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Roger
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2050

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think something has been lost in the spelling Terence!

Roger
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 40007

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a 1600kg Black Rat one from Gumtree4x4 on ebay for £151 delivered. Haven't used it in anger but seems to be a fine piece of kit for the money.
Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - yes that's right, I have a Zook!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Gear, Equipment and Vehicle Preparation All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: