Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

isuzu trooper v6 on lpg problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> LPG, Bio Diesel and Alternative Fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RUMBLE THE 2ND
Just got MTs

Odometer: 154

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: isuzu trooper v6 on lpg problems Reply with quote

Hi all wasn't sure where to put this question so its also in the Isuzu section as well. I've been trying to figure out a problem I've got on a 3.2 v6 trooper which has been converted to run on LPG. The problem is on petrol it run like a bag of you know what , yet on gas it run spot on. I changed the plugs and leads which helped the gas system to run correctly. The only things I can think of are:-
The fuel filter is partially blocked with dirt which is restricting the flow of petrol. The exhaust system having a leak at the front somewhere (not had the time to investigate where from exactly)and the rear section needing replacing. a dodgy lambda sensor not reading correctly (do they have one or two fitted on the v6) or a fuel leak from somewhere in the system
Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks
Tom
Rossko
Articulating

Odometer: 757

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've identified some sensible things to look at.

If there are lambda sensors, there will be two and the unidentified gas system is probably working only off one, so the other might be broke.

Another possibility is the gas system is running a bit lean or rich; over time the petrol system tries to trim itself to correct this (but never can) so ends up on maximum fuel trims. When you switch to petrol it runs like a bag of nails and will take many miles to re-learn proper behaviour.

cheers, Ross K

RUMBLE THE 2ND
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thanks for the reply, is there any way of testing the lambda sensors to see which one may be at fault. or would it be a case of disconnecting them in turn and seeing if it does anything. As for the gas system I'm not sure if its running Lean or rich on gas , as its quite an old system I think and i don't think its been serviced for quite a while. It does improve slightly after a while when its on petrol but its not perfect as it hesitates on acceleration and misses slightly.
thanks Tom
Rossko
Articulating

Odometer: 757

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUMBLE THE 2ND wrote:
is there any way of testing the lambda sensors to see which one may be at fault.

Yup, you need a good hot idling engine and a quality digital multimeter (NOT one with a needle). Monitor each of the lambda sensor output voltages, usually the black wire. If all is well, you should see the signal vary fairly regularly from 0.1V to 0.9V or so.

If its stuck around 0.5V its probably broke.

If its stuck at 0v or 1v it may be broke, or it may be telling the truth - i.e. the engine may be running lean or rich because of some other factor.

It's quite possible you've got more than one minor problem, and the effects are adding up.

cheers, Ross K

RUMBLE THE 2ND
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ross.
thanks for the reply will give that a go and see what my multi metre says.
thanks Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> LPG, Bio Diesel and Alternative Fuels All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: